Monday, August 10, 2009

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Now that it's over, I can tell you about the Astronaut lunch last Friday! The time finally came where I had to go downstairs with my boss. He was going to be down there taking pictures as well as kind of helping me through the process. Everything started out just fine, I was given a clipboard with 6 names on it and told to check tickets and names. Not to difficult, right? Of course not! So I stood by the doorway and waited, checked tickets and answered questions. While I'm doing this, food service was getting the lunch ready (BBQ and Chicken Fingers) and everything seemed to be going smoothly. Hoot (HOOOOOOOOOT) Gibson came in, and it turned out he was a very nice man. Possibly THE nicest astronaut I'd ever had the chance to meet, and with working at the SpRocket, that is saying a lot. We had most, if not all, of the ticket purchasers already in the dining room by that point, but none of the Libyan kids were there yet. One of the S. Camp guys was there with me, waiting for things to get started, and he said that they were on their way! He also said that the ambassador was being brought down there too, so it would be a few minutes before we could really get started. I didn't really understand that, because we have people from the ambassador program here all of the time, but we don't ever really make a big deal out of them. They are usually just teachers or people from an exchange program overseas. Kind of a glorified chaperon. At any rate, we had to wait on him before things could get rolling. At this point, I was still nervous, but had made peace with the fact that I was going to have to do the thing, so I was as close to zen as I could be.
Suddenly the Libyan kids show up and we get them in line for the buffet. There was a lot of activity and noise, and the place began to fill up with people. We had people from the upper Administration of the SpRocket coming in, and there were a lot of other people that I didn't know walking around. There went my zen! It was at this point that someone said that the ambassador was coming, and there was a flutter about this. I still didn't understand why it was a big deal until someone told me he wasn't a S. Camp ambassador, he was the UN Ambassador from Libya who had come to see the kids graduate camp! An actual, foreign dignitary! Not only that, but there was a lady from the federal government working as his aide, a State Department guy, several other government people came along and the place was crazy full. I really must have looked panicked, because a lady who works in the Administration offered to do the astronaut introduction for me. I was more than happy to hand that over to her, let me tell you! So my job was downgraded to holding the clip board and telling people were the bathroom was, but I didn't mind. However, I have noticed that if you want to look important, hold a clip-board, because it makes you look official. As I was standing there the Ambassador came over and shook my hand and told me I had done a great job! I just said thank you, because I didn't want to have to explain why I was really there. :) After that, things went smoothly, and I stayed until all the pictures had been made and hands had been shaken. Oh, and in case you were wondering, I didn't yell out "HOOOOOOOOOOT!" when I met him. I said it very quietly while he was up giving his speech. I couldn't help myself!

2) The yard sale is over and it was very successful! We had a lot of stuff to get rid of, and we didn't get rid of a lot of it, but a man came and bought everything that was left for $40 and hauled it off. Well, almost everything that was left. We have a ton of clothes that will be donated to Purple Heart, and we had a few things we figure we could find homes for ourselves, but we made some cash and now we don't have to worry about all of that crap anymore! There are still a few things left in the house, and we'll figure out what to do with all of that later. I'm just glad it's over. :P Yard sales are very, very hard work.

3) I sang at church yesterday morning, and that went well. I was afraid I wouldn't get to sing at all because my allergies are killing me! I don't know what is in the air, or if it's because I've spent so much time outside, but the only thing keeping my sinuses from completely slamming shut is the spray my Dr. gave me. Bring on Autumn!!!! BRING IT!

No comments: