Monday, February 15, 2010

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) I had a lovely, low key birthday. At first I thought all of my plans for the day would have to be scrapped because it was snowing really hard when we first got up to get ready for church. We were supposed to go to Mom's house for lunch (and cake...don't forget cake) which I had been looking forward to. We left for church and about halfway there the snow started coming down so hard and fast that the roads went from clear to a mess of slush and snow in a matter of minutes, so we had to turn around and go home. Weirdly enough, about an hour later the snow was gone from the roads and we made it in for services, at least. We also made it to mom's just fine and everything was so nice. She made me homemade spaghetti and the traditional coconut cake I always ask for. The Daytona NASCAR race was on, so I lost a couple of family members to that for a while, but that's OK. There is usually a race on during my B'day lunch every year, so I'm quite used to the indifference of my nephews by now. :) At least my brother in law didn't jump up every 5 minutes like he used to! Gotta love that! Sara stopped by the night before to drop of a giant chocolate covered...apple? I think it's an apple. I haven't opened it yet because I'm just kind of admiring it before I destroy it in a frenzy of M&M riddled debauchery. So very sweet of her! Mr. Lee also took me out to dinner and I got lots of birthday wishes from friends, so it wasn't bad at all. Of course, the last time I had a nice birthday, the rest of the year went to hell, but let's all hope that doesn't happen again this time. That sounds like a terrible way to look at life but you people have no idea how true that is for me. You. Just. Don't. Know.

2) I was an idiot on Saturday. Steve had to work, so I was home all by myself and bored out of my mind. I had been doing laundry, but that isn't exactly very exciting, and there was nothing at all worth watching on TV. That afternoon, while it was still light outside, I decided to buy the PPV movie Paranormal Activity. I had wanted to see it, but even the previews were scary, so I had been putting it off and putting it off. I decided that it couldn't possibly be all that scary, so I decided to turn it on while I was crocheting. Honestly, the first hour or so wasn't that bad. It was creepy, to be sure, but I've seen worse. However, the last ten minutes freaked my sh*t out. It was like the people who made the move were just lulling you into a sense of complacency. You know: "Ooooh, a scary noise" or "Oooooh, the door moved." It was like watching a scene from Ghost Hunters. Then the end comes and it was like "Oh, let's plunge you headlong into your worst nightmare and then leave you without a resolution so that you have to turn on every light in the house and refuse to move from your comfy chair until Steve gets home!" Seriously, I had to go to the bathroom at one point, but I was too scared to get out of my chair! I finally made myself get up, but the ending of that movie was too much for me. Demons are real and I am going to avoid movies about them from now freaking on. Don't even let me get into trying to sleep after that...

3) Here is a picture of what is possibly the best snowman I've ever seen!
This is Han Snowlo in Carbonite, courtesy of the Amazing McGee family! How awesome is this? I'm ashamed Steve and I didn't think of it first!

4) When I went to Mom's house yesterday, I was wearing my contacts instead of my glasses over there for the first time ever. I stopped in the kitchen and asked my mom and my sister "Notice anything different about my face? Eh? EH?" I was actually only kidding because I figured it would be obvious, but they just got blank looks on their faces. They were like "You're wearing a hat?" "No makeup today?" I told them I wasn't wearing glasses and they got all surprised! I didn't hallucinate having to wear them for 17 years did I? When I told them about the contacts, my youngest nephew looked at me and said "You wore glasses, Aunt Kelly?" Hello?! We got a good laugh out of that, but when we sat down for lunch, my brother-in-law looked at me and said "Where's your glasses?" I will never understand the way my family thinks. Oy.

5) Seth, the youngest nephew, also had this little gem to say when we were talking during lunch: "Women don't need cars, just like they don't need to drive. There ain't no road between the kitchen and the couch, after all." I may be misquoting, but that was the gist of it. I'm know he was just repeating something he had heard (from his father it turned out) but I told him I hoped he said that to someone one day and they beat the snot out of him and put it on YouTube. I weep for the future.

1 comment:

amy said...

Great post. Your year better not suck! :) Glad you had a good birthday, and thanks for putting Han's picture on the blog! He is so flattered he is just melting!

<3 you!