Thursday, October 14, 2010

You know, I came really close to just writing:

Nothing to see here, move along.

But, I won't. I don't have a great deal of things to write about at the moment, and the minutia of my days are very probably not of any interest to you guys anyways, but I like writing about stuff and I know some of you come here to check on me and make sure I'm still alive. So, for you wonderful people, here are some

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING!

1) I drove into Athens the other day to see my sister and drop some things off for her. She is helping her mother-in-law decorate a table for a banquet and I made some votive holders for her. It's always weird when I drive back to Athens, because it changes so much each time I go back (which goes to show you that I don't go back that often). I drove the "scenic route" I used to take when I lived out there, and it was difficult for me not to honk at the house where my Agribusiness teacher used to live. He moved far away, and unless I'm in Gadsden, I won't get to honk at him anymore. :( There is also a round-about where a four way stop used to be. I know how to drive through round-abouts, usually, but when you aren't expecting one, they are scary! I screamed the whole time as I whipped around it. I'm just lucky no one needed to enter it as I was going around, because I'm fairly certain I would have killed them! I managed to find my sister's office and I hung out for a while. It was fun! I got to meet a lot of people whom I'd only heard about before. Once of Angie's bosses (I think he's her boss) is a big Sci-Fi geek too, so we talked about Star Trek Phasers for a bit. He had one in his office! I also got to meet Stanley Menefee, who is running for County Commission Chairman. He seems like a lovely man, and a consummate politician. He handed me his card, and I didn't have the heart to tell him I didn't live in the county, so I'll just tell you to vote for him if you live out that way!

2) I got two books the other day that I'm enjoying so far! One is called "Images of America: Athens and Limestone County" - which is fascinating and has tons of old pictures. The other is called "Wicked North Alabama" - which is about the bad things that have happened in North Alabama through the years. I know awful things go on around here, but it's kind of startling when you hear specific stories. I wonder if any of my family members will be in there? :) One of my favorite lines from the book was something like "Her marriage was very short lived, mainly because she shot him." How can you not love a book with things like that in it?

3) Speaking of family members, when I was coming back from seeing Angie, I stopped by to see my mom for a while. We were talking, and I happened to mention the "Wicked North Alabama" book to her and Grant. Grant, who's family has lived in that area longer than my own, said I might find his grandfather (or maybe great-grandfather) in the book somewhere. Apparently, when all that area was a farm, his grandfather would just go out and shoot people who trespassed on his property. Shoot them and kill them, and no one thought anything about it! I mean, I know times were different back in the day, but jeez. Total country anarchy! I know a few people who wouldn't mind if things were still like that. :)

4) I watched the new version of "Nightmare on Elm Street" yesterday and I was waaaaay underwhelmed at the whole thing. I love horror movies, and I really love the ones that are slightly silly and campy, which is why the original "Nightmare" is one of my favorites. I had hoped the new one would be just as good, with maybe better special effects, but it was just...bleh. Whoever made the movie took out all of the fun, scary stuff, slapped a blue/green filter over the mess, and really ramped up the "pedophile" angle of Freddy. It was just depressing. They also killed the dog...and you just DON'T kill the dog. EVER! Also, at one point I could have sworn I blacked out and missed something, because one scene went into another that had nothing to do with anything. I mean, I kept expecting the main girl to wake up from a coma or something to explain it, but it didn't happen. It was dumb. If I'm going to sit through a scary movie, I at least want to feel the need to flip on an extra light or something, and this just didn't do it. Stupid remakes. :(

No comments: