Friday, January 09, 2015

NUTRISYSTEM FAST 5: DAY 5

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!  It's faint, but it's there.  I have to say, this hasn't been a very fun experiment so far!  I never knew how important food was to me in my regular, day to day routine, and I can't help but be a little embarrassed about the whole thing in general.   Food, other than making sure I have some, shouldn't be this big of a deal to me! Let this be a lesson!  I may not always have all the food I want, so I need to get over it! I could be poor and homeless one day, and it wouldn't do for me to get crazy over what I can or can't eat.

OK, so I did some thinking last night and figured out why I got so light headed and everything.  Up until I ate dinner, and because I didn't drink that horrible AM shake or eat very much of my lunch, I'd only had just above 300 calories and almost nothing to drink, so it was a mixture of low blood sugar and some dehydration.  Neither of those things are good! I usually keep water with me all day, but yesterday I was working on one of those long, repetitive, mind numbing tasks that I have to do once a year, and I barely even got out of my chair - so I didn't even think of filling up my Wonder Woman water mug.   Also, not eating or drinking (no matter how much of it comes from avoiding the food they give you) is not what the Nutrisystem program is about, so that is all on me.  I'm sure if I was consuming everything in that box, I wouldn't have any blood sugar issues and I'd probably be way more aware of drinking enough water.  At any rate, I'm going to try and do much better today, which should be easier since I don't work on Fridays and will probably be at home all day! [Oh, and full disclosure, I ate 3 cookies last night. I got dizzy again, and figured it wouldn't hurt. It did help, so hooray for cookies!]


BREAKFAST: Peanut Butter Granola Bar.  I have to say, the breakfast food has consistently been my favorite of everything they give you.  I think that if they marketed their breakfast stuff for general sale at grocery stores, they'd do pretty well.  While I'm not a huge fan of peanut flavored stuff in general, this bar was sweet and good and filling. I also had black tea, which the program says is fine as long as you use non-caloric sweetener.  Nothing exciting, but it worked for me!


LUNCH: Loaded Baked Potato. This is a misnomer, because what this is, is actually reconstituted instant mashed potatoes with bits of "cheese" and bacon and leeks  in it.  It tasted weird.  I've had something exactly like it before, but I can't remember where.  It's familiar, but not in a good way.  It's like something I had right before getting sick or something, which is why I've avoided it ever since! It was pasty (even after adding extra water) and bitter, with a touch of fake butter and smoky bacon-bit flavor to it, with an aftertaste of latex balloons.  I only ate about half, along with some brussels sprouts (or are they brussel sprouts? One brussel per sprout?)  I did find out that it was the perfect consistency to mold things out of, al la "Close Encounters," so if you ever need to build a landmark out of mashed potatoes, this should be your go to stuff!  Silver linings!

Honestly, I don't mean to be hateful, but damn. How can you mess up instant potatoes? I wound up making some brussel (brussles?) sprout chips, which are just leaves from the things toasted in olive oil, which were good, so I'm not hungry!


DINNER: Turkey Sausage and Bacon Rigatoni. 

I hate everything.

This was, like last night's dinner, inedible.  The pasta was mushy and bland, the meat was squidgy and bland, and the sauce is creamy and bland.  It was food shaped and slightly food flavored, but not like real food.  It's like aliens captured some humans and took them aboard their ship, and when they remembered that the humans needed food, they synthesized this because it was as close to people food as their computer replicators could get. That's the nicest thing I can think of.

Again, I got rid of it and had an egg, veggie bacon, some Veggie Wedgies (HA!), more sprout chips and some of the same cookies I had yesterday. It still clocked in around the same amount of calories. I also found out what happens when you use a mandoline slicer without a finger guard.  My thumb might never be the same!



No comments: