Thursday, July 01, 2004

If you ever have any of that pesky self confidence you need to get rid of, just do what I did yesterday!

I went to the new Parkway Place Mall. It's a very posh place with stores like Abercrombe & Fitch (did I spell that right?) and Banana Republic, and Book Gallery etc. Anyway, all I wanted to do was to find a new top. Something cute, without a low neckline. Well, I don't usually go into any of these places in the mall to buy clothes, but I thought, what the hey*!

*Here is the hey...almost every store I went into basically catered to the young and anorexic. I'm not kidding. I actually thought I had wondered into the children's section of a place called "Hollisters" before I realized that there WASN'T a children's section. I couldn't believe it. I went into the GAP, and I saw all of these teeny people looking at stuff sized zero. ZERO, people! how can you be a size ZERO! Wouldn't that mean you didn't exist? I just passed on by places called Wet Seal and Buckle because I was just too scared my fragile facade of composure would crumble and they'd find me in a corner somewhere weeping. Now, I'm have my moments of hating how I look, just as everyone else does. But, I try not to let them get the best of me for the sheer reason that I don't want my size to rule my existance. However, it's almost a slap in the face to go into these places and basicly be shown that unless you are a size 0-10 you shouldn't be able to wear trendy, stylish clothes.

While I was slinking from place to place trying not to decimate displays of clothes with my obviously -at least by the designers standereds- monstrous frame, another lightbulb of unfairness went off in my head. I'm a 26 year old woman. I don't need to be able to wear a pleated mini-skirt that is cut up to the crotch, or a baby sized t-shirt that says something like "hottie" or "sexy" across the front (in fact, if you ever see me dressed like that in a situation where I was NOT hijacked by the Hilton Sisters and drugged, please, shoot me with a powerful tranquilizer gun and have an intervention session with me, I beg of you). However, what about all the young girls and women who do want to wear that stuff? Maybe they're overweight, maybe not even by much, but should that exclude them from being able to being able to wear things that fit in with their peers? It is so unfair! Now, granted, maybe a girl who weighs 300 pounds shouldn't be wearing a mini-skirt or a mid-drif top, but dangit, she should have the option! Or even better, why don't more stores geared towards adolesence have appropriate clothes for people over size 10 or 12? I know for a fact that there are young people who wear larger sizes than that. Why should they be forced to wear clothes that aren't "in style" because they are bigger than anyone else. Let's face it, when you're a teenager, you want to fit in. You want to look and dress like other people your age. Why should anyone in that age bracket have to wear clothes that are more appropriate for adults? Anyway, that's my rant for today.

No comments: