Tuesday, September 14, 2004

SIGH

The crossing guards hate me. For those of you that don't know, I live between an elementary school and a K-12 private school. When I get to the end of my street to turn on to the busier road, there is a crossing guard stationed to my right (in front of the elementary school) and to my left (at the intersection). I think they must have walkie talkies or something, because unless I leave at an ungodly hour of the morning to get to work, they block me in! It's insane. I'll look to my left and see a line of Hummers and BMWs, and what not, coming my way, while to my right everything is clear. When that line to my left finally clears, another line starts in from the right. Not only that, but each car is the exact distance apart to keep me from being able to squeeze in between lines! I can just hear those smug crossing guards talking into their Walkie-Talkies *static* "Red 5, this is Rebel Base. Rudolph the red nosed SUV is out. GO! GO! GO!".

Last night, my best laid plans were almost null. I went to school to prepare my screen for printing this week, and had Mr. Crouse not been there, I'd still be in that studio this morning. Here is how it works. You have to take your screen and coat it with photographic emulsion, which is the consistency of elmers glue. You take a long metal trough and fill it with this gluey stuff. Then you press it up against the screen and slide it up the screen, and according to the teacher this is supposed to leave an even, thin film behind. Well, I held the tough backwards and I got that emulsion everywhere. Not only that, but when I finally got the thing coated, and the teacher went in there with me to check on it, the excess stuff had oozed down the frame and pooled at the bottom, and when he picked it up, it got all over him. THEN you have to let it dry. THEN you take a piece of paper that is ultra-violet proof and slide it under the dry screen and put it all on this glass table and expose it to the UV light. THEN you take the screen, and where the paper was, you now have a soft spot that you have to hose clean. So you grab a garden hose with a sprayer attachment and hose that sucker down until the soft spot has been cleaned off. THEN you have to wait for the screen to dry again. THEN you draw a picture on your screen and once that is the way you like it, you can start printing. Apparently, I'm retarded when it comes to screen printing. I was only going to stay there an hour so I could swing by Target before going home and making dinner, but it took me two hours. I still went by Target to get some stuff, and then I went home. Steve had made dinner (awwwwwww.....) and after I ate, I was going to clean. That didn't happen either. I'm about to the point where I think the only way I'll get my house clean is to burn it down and build another one. Too bad I don't have the courage to be an arsonist!

Tonight I have class again (Graphics and Screenprinting) and I'm going to make myself clean the kitchen when I get home. Want to take bets on whether it will happen? ; )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions