Wednesday, September 01, 2004

PERSPECTIVE

I have a friend that I think is very wise, who shall remain nameless due to my reluctantly to give him a big head, who has recently discussed perspectives with me.

Today I had a first hand experience in how important it is to see things from a different perspective and I was greatly humbled. To explain this, I have to tell you something about myself that is isn't exactly flattering. Since before school started, I have been feeling sorry for myself. I have three 3 credit classes this semester, one on MWF at 8:00 in the morning and two from 2:30-8:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I work full time, and I have a home to take care of. That's a lot on my plate mentally, physically, and emotionally. I've been whining about how much there is to do and never enough time to do it in. Basically, I've been a huge baby about it. Today, I was talking to a girl in my Lit class and asked her how far she had gotten into Huck Finn. Her reply? "Well, not far. I have three classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays plus the ones on MWF, I work full time, I have two kids and they play sports." She didn't mention her home life, but I didn't see a wedding band, so I assumed she was a single mom, and that in its self has to be hard.

Listening to her, I realized how good I've got it. So if you've heard me whine, I'd like to apologize. I'm not saying that what I've got on my plate isn't hard or time consuming, but it isn't going to kill me.

No comments: