Tuesday, July 21, 2009

RAoB REVISITED!

2) I don't know if 4,000 people were here yesterday, but it was close! It was crammed wall to wall with people. It would have been nice for the SpRocket if the majority of the visitors were PAYING guests, but that was a bit too much to ask for I guess. :P I didn't even get to hide up in my office like I wanted because I had two sign emergencies (and yes, apparently those actually exist). The worst one was that I misspelled the name of one of our guest astronauts! I was so embarrassed. To be fair, I'm fairly sure I just copied and pasted the text I got the request email, which means I didn't spell it wrong myself but still, I should've been more careful. I got a call asking for two replacement signs with his name spelled correctly. I asked when they needed to be done and the guy said "Um...now?" So I knew that even though they had these signs over the weekend, no one bothered to read it until they sat it next to the guy. I hope he wasn't offended, and I still feel really bad about spelling his name wrong. I did manage to fix, print and mount the signs in record time to replace the ones already at the book signing. I actually got cheered for when I replaced the old sign, and some lady from NASA hugged me, so it must've been embarrassing for everyone. *SHAME*

4) I did some checking, and I'm fairly certain that my moccasins are actually just slippers! No one noticed, though. It probably wouldn't have been a problem at all, but I had one mishap that has taught me that I should be smarter in my choice of footwear. My first sign emergency of the day yesterday was that they needed a sign with an arrow that pointed to the "Grassy Knoll" where MSFC had tents and free moon pies (haha) to give away. You'd think the big-assed tents and music would have made their location somewhat obvious, but alas, people still needed a sign to point the way. SIGN LADY TO THE RESCUE! Anyways, the sign is what we call a "real estate" sign, which means it is like the annoying signs you see on the side of the road during election time, and we have to stick a metal stand in the ground to hold it up. The stand is shaped like a capital H, and to plant the stand, you just step on the cross bar to push it down. Since my slippers didn't have any grip on the bottoms, I slipped while trying to push it down and almost impaled myself. Luckily I fell sideways and missed the pointy bits by a few inches. I live to fight another day!

--In an unrelated post: I learned to make Alfredo sauce from scratch yesterday! It was yummy, even if the cheese didn't melt all the way. It isn't for anyone wanting to watch their weight, but you don't have to eat much of it before it fills you up! Fear my culinary prowess. FEAR IT!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which astronaut did you mis-spell? I hope it wasn't one of the moonwalkers! Come on Kel! Get it together! LOL!

Sounds like your missions were successful. Good job!

--JT

Tae said...

I misspelled Owen Garriott's name! He wasn't a moonwalker, but he was a SkyLab and Shuttle astronaut. I just can't believe I did that, if for no other reason than because I used to have to stare at his name and picture for hours when I was a floor guide!

Anonymous said...

Lemme guess, too many or too few R's or T's? And yep, I definitely know who he is!

At least you didn't mis-spell Buzz Aldrin. He's been known to punch people... LOL! Don't believe me, check YouTube.

--JT