Wednesday, July 15, 2009

STUPID KELLY TRICKS

OK, for some of you (those on Facebook) this isn't a new story. Bear with me! :)

Last week was completely crazy here at work. We had a lot going on, because as I've mentioned, the departments that were directing one of the two huge events this weekend had forgotten that they needed signs. I had people e-mailing me all day every day adding to or changing things that they needed. It's not really a big deal, usually, but when we have the kind of events that require table signs, name tags or anything that is very repetitive, it gets tedious and confusing. The two events we had over the weekend, The Apollo/Saturn Reunion and the SC Hall of Fame event, each required individual table signs. Making a table sign is easy, but making a lot of them becomes a pain after a while.

To make them you have to A) set up each sign in Photoshop B) print batches of 6 on a large sheet of sticky-back paper C) cut them out individually D) stick each one of them down to plain sheets of copy paper E) trim the edges of the copy paper F) score the fold with a blade G) spray glue on the backs of the pages H) fold and press the signs flat and I) trim all of the edges again to make them neat. See, easy-peasy.

OK, so I was working like crazy trying to get all of these table signs done so that I could move on to the other signs that needed to be made. I was told in school that you should NEVER-EVER spray glue indoors because it is nt good to breathe and it gets all over everything. Like many of the things I learned about production in school, I thought to myself "Screw it." I didn't have time to run outside every time I needed to glue a sign because it would have slowed me down too much. So I pulled my big garbage bin over to my side and held the sign down into it whenever I needed to apply the glue. Of course, the glue didn't just stay in the can, but as long as it wasn't getting on my other table signs and messing them up, I was OK with that. Well, at some point I realized that I had over sprayed the can and accidentally sprayed the handset of the phone sitting on the shelf next to the bin. Yes, it was sticky, but I didn't have time to worry about it or clean it off because I was too busy. I promptly forgot about it.

Cut to a few hours later. I had finished the table signs and had started working on the signs for the silent auction. My phone rang, and when I answered it, it was my friend and former co-worker Ed on the other end. He will sometimes call and chat with me when he is driving to or from work on his lunch break, and since I was busy with my hands, I put the phone between my shoulder and ear while I was working. It actually turned into a longer conversation than I thought it would be, so I sat like that for a good 15 or 20 minutes until he had to go. It wasn't until I tried to hang up the phone that I realized that I had managed to glue the phone to my head. It was stuck in my hair! I probably should have called for help, but it wasn't my first reaction, so I ended up ripping the handset out of my hair. OUCH! It made a horrible sound, too. It sounded like slowly ripping a piece of thick paper. My head was sore afterwards, but I did manage to escape giving myself a bald spot. :)

So lets add this to my list: I've fallen down our stairs twice, stabbed myself in the chest with my exacto knife, laminated my head onto a big sign and now I've glued my phone to my head.

I'm fairly surprised my boss doesn't make me wear hockey pads and a helmet every day!

1 comment:

amy said...

If it makes you feel better, I smacked my head hard trying to go out the "kids" door at Katie's dentist's office yesterday. It's right next to the "adults" door, which I thought I was using. I was reeling from the bill anyway. I smacked my head like a Stormtrooper! It still hurts, but primarily my pride is bruised.