Friday, August 20, 2004

I'm about to bad mouth a religion. If you have a weak stomach, please look away. If you are standing near me, walk a few feet away so that the lightning that hits me doesn't get you too.

This morning I was reading about a little girl who has a digestive disorder that makes it impossible for her to eat anything with wheat in it. Her family is catholic, and it was coming up to her first communion, which is a huge deal. Her mother went to the church and told the preist about her daughters disorder and asked if anything could be done about the communion wafer, which is made of wheat. The preist said no, because tradition says that the wafer must contain at least a small amount of non leavened wheat. Okay, fine, so the mom goes to a different church that allows rice wafers and took communion. The little girl had on her little white dress, and in her pictures, she looks so happy. Now, they find out that the church will not recognize her first communion because her wafer was made of rice instead of wheat.

Are you kidding me?!

The little girl could die from eating wheat or at least be in horrible pain from even a little bit in her system and you're telling me that the largest and one of the oldest oragnized religions is not going to allow her to be confirmed in their church because of what her communion wafer is made of? Oh, this burns me up. I can not believe that this could possible make the slightest amount of difference at all. The little girl wants to confirm her faith, which in my opinion is the seewtest and most pure thing a child can ever do, and the freaking flour used to make the communion wafer is going to keep it from being officially recognized? That's like telling a child in my church that they aren't saved because there was chlorine in the water that they were baptized in. That is completely unacceptable. How dare anyone do something so unfair, and hurtful. This is the most narrow minded, stupid thing I've ever had the misfortune to read about, and yet there are some freaking old guys in Italy that are deciding whether or not it can be recognized. Uh uh, no way. If I'm not mistaken, communion is a symbolic gesture, and in the Catholic church they belive in transubstatiation, or the actual change of the eucharist into the body of Christ. I mean, to me that means that it is the belief in something that makes it real, not what it's made out of. If it actually becomes the body of Christ, it could be a chicken McNugget and it could still be used if the right faith is in play. This just shows me why so many people are turning away from church these days. If a panel of old catholic guys can tell me whether or not I'm confirmed in their church or not, simply on the basis of flour, then I don't want to have anything to do with it.

I'm glad I'm baptist. We don't care what kind of flour it would be as long as we could eat it!

No comments: