Friday, April 28, 2006

So THAT'S how it's going to be today...

7:53 a.m.

Walking into the cafeteria is like wandering into the internal workings of an ant hill. Kid are freaking everywhere. This shouldn't surprise me, I do, afterall, work at a camp. After carefully picking my way through small, bewildered groups carrying precariously balanced trays loaded with french toast sticks and hash browns (we love our carbs here) I make it to the hot water tank and get my morning cup of water for tea. After once again weaving my way through the forest of children (and wondering if it would really be a bad thing to carry a Nerf bat with me to whack people out of my way), I climb the stairs to find that I'm the first if my office to arrive, and therefore will have to unlock the door. While searching for my keys, my cup of hot water crashes to the floor, drenching everything within a three foot radius. I was seriously unknowledgable about the fact that an 8 ounce cup of water would cover so much floor space. I rush up the stairs only to find that the only available paper towels are the brown rolls in the bathroom, and they have no absorptive powers at all. After running up and down the stairs several times, alternately holding wads of dry and sopping, brown paper towels, I realize that all I'm succeeding in doing is spreading the moisture to an even larger area. I search for and locate a broken folding chair, which I sit squarely in the middle of the spot in hopes that none of my immediate co-workers slip and break a leg in the mess. I finally make it to my office where I realize the heater is on, and therefore I must take off my shoes and sit very still in the stream of my fan so that I don't get ill from the opressive humidity which has already begin to accumulate within.

I hear a noise, I will write again soon.

No comments: