Thursday, April 16, 2009

BLOGGED ALONG THE WAY: FAMILY REUNION EDITION

THURSDAY 4/16: Today we set off for another Pratt family reunion in Conroe, Texas. Well, we didn't get to set off right away, we first had to take care of our giant vermin, Butler and Bear. I don't know if they sensed that we were leaving them someplace or not, but they were acting terribly! It shouldn't have come as a shock to them because we told them they were going to their "special resort" but I think all that registered with them was that they had to get into the car and they weren't happy about that. Once we finally got them tied into their choke collars, we got them into the car. Of course, Bear immediately starting walking on me so that he could look out of my window. An 80 pound catahoula mix walking on a person's leg isn't comfortable! When we finally got to the vet -uh, I mean resort, Butler was having a come apart and the vet's office wasn't open yet. We sat in the car, waiting for them to open, and at some point Butler and Bear changed places, so Steve had a hold of Bear while I had Butler's leash. Once the doors opened, Steve and Bear got out, and I had to try and get Butler out of the backseat of the convertible. I had a hold of his collar and his leash, trying to get him to stay close to me so I could close the door, and he backed out of his collar! I freaked out, because I was afraid that he would run out into the busy street in front of the building, so I left the door to the car wide open and proceeded to chase him through the parking lot, screaming his name and holding his collar and leash above my head! Luckily he ran directly into the lobby of the vet, and I practically tackled him to get his leash back on. A nice man who was waiting for his own dog to be taken back helped me, so I was lucky he was there. Poor Steve couldn't do anything to help because Bear had decided to wrap himself around Steve's legs. At any rate, we finally got our spastic mutts handed over to the workers. While we were signing the paperwork, at least two other dogs who were having the same kind of excitable morning came in and I was liberally gnawed, slobbered and jumped on. It was crazy. By the time I got back into the car, I was exhausted and covered with dog hairs.

We finally got home and ready to go, and Mr. Lee came and picked us up. As I've said before, going on a trip with Steve and his dad is an experience. No one really talks, but we listen to a lot of talk radio! I'm glad I don't have strong political leanings, because I'm sure I would have been insulted at some point along the way. I actually didn't mind much this time because I found a book to read. I actually didn't pay attention to much on the way to our stopping point for the night. We actually stayed in Slidell, LA, which is right outside of New Orleans. We decided to spend the evening over there, and even though we didn't really get to see much, we had a great time! We pretty much stayed in the French Quarter and I took some pictures while Mr. Lee looked for souvenirs. I hate looking like such a tourist, but I love to take photos. I was in a catch 22, but I decided that I would take the pictures anyways! I forgot, AGAIN, to take a picture of my foot in New Orleans, but to be fair, if I had to sit on the ground or something to get a picture of my foot with some kind of recognizable landmark, then I'll pass on that. The place is nasty! There were also a lot of boobies around. Not real boobies, but plastic ones and pictures of them. I don't mind them myself, but it's embarrassing when I know Mr. Lee sees them! :) We had dinner at a pub that had fantastic creole/cajun food and ended the night at Cafe du Monde, where I was finally able to get that cafe au lait that I've been dreaming about for months. I don't know if it's the coffee, the whole milk, the real sugar, or the combination of all of them, but it was sooooooooo good. We also got some beignets to go, and except for the powdered sugar spilling all down the front of my shirt, I enjoyed them as well! There is something wrong with the water in Slidell, though. It wasn't dirty or anything, but it felt really slimy, and when I took a shower it didn't feel like I could wash the soap off. Mr. Lee said it was because the water was soft. I don't know, but I didn't like it. :(

Tomorrow is the second half of our journey and getting to Grandma's house! Whee!

No comments: