Monday, April 06, 2009

Saturday was such an awesome day!



Sara (Scary Spice, you know) and I went to the BJCC in Birmingham and saw a production of "Wicked!" It was SO awesome. I had read the book, and had looked into going to see this show a couple of years ago, but it never came very close to Huntsville. When Sara contacted me in January, I believe, to let me know it was coming to Birmingham, I jumped on it right away! She got us some really great seats, and we went to a matinee. After a while of climbing over people and being misdirected by the ushers, we finally found our seats and got settled.

The show was better than I imagined it would be. I'd seen clips of video taken from the Broadway show, but it wasn't enough to really tell anything about it. The lead, Elphaba, was played by a woman who had played her on Broadway and she had the greatest voice! I loved the costumes and the music and everything! Well, except for the flying monkeys, and they were just weird. They kind of freaked me out the same way that Cirque de Soleil freaks me out. I can't explain any better than that. It was just a really amazing show. If you ever get a change to see it, you definately should. The story was even changed just enough so that kids could really enjoy it, so you can take them too!

I decided that I would love to do musical theater, but I don't think I could actually pull it off. I could do the singing and the costumes, and I'm even fairly certain that I could learn to dance well enough to do the show...but I don't know how comfortable I'd be actually participating. Anyways, I'm still going to learn all of the songs from the show, just because. :) I'd actually like to see the show in a bigger venue sometime if I can. Even though everthing was great, I'm still fairly certain that a traveling show has some kinds of limitations. I can't imagine how, though.

Afterwards, after braving a crowd that almost knocked me down and after buying a show shirt from a poorly disguised transgendered man, Sara and I went to a restaurant called "Rojo" which was in a very interesting area. It was some kind of hipsters paradise, but the burgers were fantastic. I recommend it.

It was a good day.

No comments: