Monday, January 17, 2005

ATLANTA!

Yes, Constant Reader, I am actually going to write about our trip to Atlanta! It's been over a week since we got back, but I've finally got the time to update. Along the way, we had adventures! ADVENTURES I SAY!!! I had some pictures, taken by my trusty camera phone, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them out of the phone yet. I'll post them later.

It was a dark and stormy night on January the 7th. We left Huntsville at about 6:30 pm, and we made it all the way to Albertville (heh) before we stopped to eat. After deliberating for a while, we decided to stop at the Peking Chinese Buffet. I was a little apprehensive to eat in there, to say the least. You know, questionable chinese food right before a long drive isn't always safe. Anyways, we walked in, and the first thing that greeted us was a lady with a She-Mullet. All three of us snorked back some laughter and were led to our booth. Behind us was a huge bald man with a tattoo of a spiderweb on his scalp. I was scared. As for the place itself, let me paint this picture for you. It's a huge, family style resturaunt with mid-eighties decor (pink and baby blue tile), a labrynth of a buffet in the center and two giant oragami swans decorating the dessert table. We went to get our food and nothing seemed too out of place until I got to the mozzerella sticks. I was all...huh? Further down was the POTATO BAR FROM ANOTHER WORLD. Fries, Au Gratin, Mashed, stuffed...any way you can make a potato, they had it. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't know that the Chinese used the potato in quite so many ways. The food? Mediocre at best - sticky beast vomit at worst. Anyways, after dinner I stepped into the ladies room and saw three things that made me wish I hadn't eaten there: 1) An Outhouse Door used as a decorative element 2) A Cockroach and 3) Wet floors. I don't know why they were wet, and I didn't want to wait around to find out. SHUDDER.

Once we got back into the car and on our way, we had to tackle the "where are we staying" issue. Apparently we were just going to go into Atlanta and demand a room! No plans, no warning, but a room we would have. Being someone who likes to have at least that much taken care of, I was a little nervous. I could see us showing up completely ignorant of the fact that there was some kind of convention that took over the south, and the closest hotel with a vacancy would have been in Savannah. Luckily, we found a room, and a nice one, right on Peachtree street. Chalk up a point for Steve and Josh. The next day we got out bright and early to go to the museum, only to be told that they were booked until after noon. We had quite a time getting into the MARTA station (lack of quarters being the culprit) but we finally found our way around before we had to turn back and go back to the High Museum of Art. As I had mentioned before, this was Josh's Christmas gift to both Steve and I. We stood in line for what seemed like ages before we got into the exhibit, but it was totally worth the wait. I was agog. I have never been agog before, but that day, in front of Cafe At Night, I aggoged. I was right in front of his paintings. I was SEEING his brush strokes. I was also taking what I'm sure were illegal pictures of the paintings with my cell phone. It was amazing. By the time we got through, my feet were in agony. I decided to wear my boots with heels, not thinking that I would be walking so much. We also took a walk over to the mall so that I could buy some jeans. Steve and Josh saw a robbery in progress while I was in the GAP. I miss all the good stuff. By the time we got back and relaxed a bit, we had to decide what we were going to do next. You'd think, hey, we're in Atlanta! We don't have to worry about work, kids, pets or immigration! Let's go out and find something exciting to do. Not so much. We talked about it for a while and finally decided to order room service and rent a movie. We are so OLD!

Sunday we got up, checked out, and went to the CNN building to take a tour. I was just starting to get sick, so I couldn't have cared less for how they make the news or to pad Ted Turners pockets. I just wanted to go home. We also drove out to Waleska to return a book from Rhonda. I had a full blown sinus headache by the time we got there. My poor Aunt thought she was boring me because I looked glazed. I was just trying to focus on keeping my eyeballs in their respective sockets. I wasn't bored, I promise! On our way home, my head hurt so bad that I was nausiated, so I had to lay down and sleep until we got home. Fun stuff.

All in all it was a great trip (minus the head's-a-bangin headache). I love going places and seeing fun things. There was a lot more that we did, but the subtle nuances of our trip can't be accurately portrayed in a simple Blog. : )

No comments: