Monday, January 03, 2005

So I bought the book "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman.

Actually, he didn't write the book, a man named S. Morgenstern wrote it, but Mr. Goldman adapted it into the story we all know and love. Apparently, his father read this book to him when he was a child and sick with pneumonia, and Goldman fell in love with this story, and all books in fact, after that.

This version of the story came about when he found the book and gave it to his own son and realized that his father had abridged the story to cut out all of the exposition and hoopla that the original author had added. It had originally been a satire, much like Gullivers Travels, but Goldman's father just wanted to tell his son the good parts. In fact, the book I'm reading is called *Ahem* "The Princess Bride S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure The Good Parts Version Abridged by William Goldman" and that is where we get the movie and the inspiration to dress like the Dread Pirate Roberts at DragonCon.

May I just tell you that this is one of the best books I've ever read? I know, I know, it was made into a movie and this book basically follows the same path (because Goldman also wrote the Screenplay) but it's so much more than that! You get to know all about the characters and why they are the way they are and it's just amazing. I recommend it to anyone looking for a story to read their kids, or to anyone who - like me- just loves to read.

That is all.

No comments: