Tuesday, September 20, 2005

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES, SIR.

If you guessed I just came back from Algebra class, you'd be right. This time, I know I wasn't the only one confused. The teacher came in about 15 or 20 minutes late, and talked a mile a minute practically without stopping to explain what she was doing, and then she told us that being told how to do it wasn't going to help us learn, actually doing the work would. The majority of the class just sat there glassy eyed until it was time to leave. I've already got an idea for a t-shirt I'm going to make to wear to this class: CAUTION Art Student Please do not confuse.

That which does not kill me, only makes me more creative. : )

Speaking of class...I'm horrified at what I did to my lithograph. I finished my first project on friday evening so that I would have it done by today. I know this will not make sense, but I didn't really look at my drawing closely when I finished it. I put on the finishing touches, said "There" and printed the thing, still not looking very closely at what I had done. I knew I wanted to watercolor one of them so that I could give it to a friend of mine, so I snagged one of the extras off of the drying rack before I walked out the door, but I still didn't look at it until I got home. As I sat down to get started, I noticed something that has scarred me forever. I had somehow, totally inadvertantly (please believe me), went a little Georgia O'Keefe on my drawing. If you don't know what that means, you have my permission to e-mail me and ask, but I can't write it here. I had to bring the one I was going to paint to work with me today so that I could...um...tone it down before we had our critique. The thing that bothers me the most is not so much that I drew it without realizing it, but that 15 copies of it were on the drying rack for everyone and their grandma to see. Oy.

The rest of the weekend was a little less eventful. Saturday morning, I slept in, which was nice, and Steve and I slothed around until about noon. We were suppoed to pick his parents up from the airport at 5 and he was going to mow their lawn if it needed it, so we packed up and drove across town to hang out at their place until it was time to get them. When we got there, the lawn didn't need to be mowed, and Steve didn't want to stay there for 4 hours twiddling his thumbs (even though that's what he was going to do at home), and so we used another quarter tank of gas to drive home. I've also learned that when Steve knows I'm irritated, he buys me ice cream. I don't know if it made me less irritated, but trying to get a milk shake from Brewsters to come up through the straw certainly kept me too occupied to complain. I was going to have to study history that night, so I got my two books and started to read. Eventually I woke up with my face nose down on my text book and Steve gone to get his parents. Then it dawned on me that I didn't even know what I was supposed to be studying because my exam guide was in my car, so I run out to get it and find that Steve had taken my Durango. He came home breifly to bring my backpack to me before he left again to hang out with Josh, so I was finally able to get a little studying done.

Sunday we were having our church picnic, so I stayed in the kitchen during service taking care of the barbeque. We went to Ditto Landing, which is a lovely little marina on the banks of the Tennessee River, and we ate and had a very nice afternoon. I served lunch to what seemed to be a thousand people! I was glad so many people showed up. After lunch was over, I put on my other hat of "Church Historian" and took pictures for the scrapbook. At some point, I got myself involved in a volleyball game, and apparently I am pretty good at serving. My team won both times...GO US! *spirit fingers* ; ) Later on that afternoon, I tried to get some more studying in since we were going to have dinner with our friends, and once again found myself waking up with my face literally stuck in a book. I had to get up and changed, and we met everyone at Beauregard's (yum). It was Steve and I, Joos, Twan, Chani and Bud (or Josh, Anthony, Shannon and Greg, if you prefer). We ate and then went to BAM and sat outside and talked. It was a lot of fun. I don't have much time to do that kind of stuff this semester, so blowing off a little steam is a relief.

For those who care, I am finally on my way to being all Zen again. In the past couple of posts, I've been sad for no forseeable reason, but I've finally realized what has been bothering me. It's nothing that anyone else would give a fig about, so I won't elaborate, but I've picked it over in my brain, prayed about it, and now I'm learning how to deal with it. It's not that it will bother me less or be any less disappointing, but I've decided that I'm not going to let it be something that will color my mood in every other part of my life. I'm learning that sometimes, you have to seperate things into little compartments, like a lunchroom tray. It keeps the peas from getting into the mashed potatoes, and the salsbury steak doesn't get jello on it. I refuse to let the jello get out of it's compartment! In a couple of weeks, the jello may be everywhere, but right now, it's where it needs to be. : )

Well, I need to go find some work to do.

No comments: