Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm in the process of chewing my own face off in frustration. Yes, it's quite a sight.

Most people I work with seem easy going and not hard to please when it comes to the more simple aspects of my sign making abilities. They request them, I make them. No big deal, right? Well, not everyone is as easy-going as that. We have one lady who works here who is legendary in her inability to make even the most simple of decisions when it comes to her signs. I will not tell you her function in our business, but let's just say, she is near the top of that proverbial hill where the excrement succumbs to the pull of gravity.

One of my functions is to make standardized, temporary signs. You can think of my office as the old New Orleans red light district of signage. You need it dirty, fast, and cheap...you call me. I have templates of just about every standard sign we have, including the ones she always asks for, but she always asks me to send her a proof. People, I'm telling you, I plug in a logo and a date she needs and that's pretty much it! Why would she need a proof?! What does she think I'm going to do, screen an image of tap-dancing drag queens in the background? Well, I do this for her, because I've learned that it doesn't matter what I do or say, she will ask for it to be changed in some way. She will especially do this if I decide I don't want to deal with her and I just print it out and send it over to her. I think she does it to drive me crazy. At any rate, since I do this for her, I've asked her to do one teeny-tiny favor for me. When she needs a sign created, please, PLEASE request a high resolution logo from the company in question. I've asked her to do this & my boss has asked her to do this. It seems like a fairly easy request to make, right? Every time, every stinking time, she sends us a 72 dpi logo that is about 2 inches square that she pulls off of the internet and wants us to blow it up to fit into a space about a foot and a half wide. I'm pretty sure you know what happens to an image when you do that, right? It gets pixilated beyond belief. Before I knew what to expect from her, I e-mailed her and told her that the image was fuzzy and that she might want to request one from the company that we can use. She immediately e-mails my boss, not even me, my boss - and freaks the heck out about it. So now I just use the crappy logos she sends, or we are forced to re-create the logos if they become completely unusable (which is hard because you aren't supposed to approximate with logos, you have to be dead on). You'd think if she was so worried about making these look nice, she'd be more concerned with the company logos looking nice than what color border (which we only change for her, at her insistance) that the sign has. Grrr.

Anyways, time for the WEEKEND UPDATE! WOO-HOO!

Friday I had to work late, so all I did was stay at work and make a new sign. It was very exciting. It was actually a good sign, so I was proud of it. I did a little more design work than I usually do, so it wasn't as much drudgery as usual. If you come to the Sprocket (even without the spinning disk in the lobby) and see the signs advertising the Dog Tags in the gift shop...that's it. : ) Steve was being a good son and he went to Birmingham to stay the night with his mom and dad so that he could help out when needed. Awwwww.

Saturday I tried to be useful, but mostly all I did was laundry and clean the living room. Hey, don't judge, there was a lot of laundry! : ) I also had a date with Josh and Anthony that night to have dinner at Little Tony's and go see a movie. The dinner was great, but the movie wasn't. We went to see "Date Movie" which had the potential to actualy be really funny, but it was mostly bad. There were a couple of scenes that were funny, but for the most part it was like a spoof of a spoof and it relied on dirty jokes and potty humor for the most part. I just don't find stuff like that funny anymore. It's my one and only proof that I'm an adult now! heeheehee. I didn't get home until almost midnight, and Steve was back home when I got there. We talked for a while and then fell asleep.

Sunday we went to church in the morning and to my parent's house for lunch. I stayed home to work on homework last night, but I kept getting sidetracked. I finally resigned myself to watching a Harry Potter movie with Steve, who is fast realizing how much is cut out of the book now that he is listening to the audio versions of the novels in his truck. It's not as much fun watching movies with him when he keeps saying "HEY! They didn't talk about (insert missing part of story here)!" That's usually my job! : )

Well, I need to get back to work! Jason keeps shooting at me from the hall, and I need to move out of his line of sight.

Oh yeah, I get my book review back from my Prof today, so keep your fingers crossed for me. I need a good grade to offset the last exam I had!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only reason she wants a proof is because of speeling mistkes. I have seen two people come and go because they didnt know how to use spell checker.

When Google pays 500,000 dollars to come for 4 days, everything HAS to be perfect.

--Jason

Tae said...

I don't care! I don't even have to spell anything if all I do is stick a logo on it!