Monday, August 28, 2006

WEEKEND UPDATE!

Greetings! I'll go ahead and let you know, this update is not going to be all that interesting. Since time apparently ceased to flow in it's normal channels last week, I mostly made up sleep! It was lovely.

Friday Steve and I got home and ordered in dinner. He had rented some movie called "Hackers" which was really not that great, in my humble opinion. Angelina Jolie was in it along with the guy who played Shaggy in the live action Scooby-Doo movies, but they were the only ones I knew for sure. I suppose in 1995, the computer tricks that they used wouldn't have looked so ridiculous and dated. However, with the technology we have today, it ended up looking kind of dumb. Oh well! I ended up finishing the John Updike book I bought a couple of weeks ago and falling asleep. Of course, then I woke up at 3:15 in the grip of some kind of pointless panic attack and didn't get back to sleep again until almost 5! I'm not even sure what he panic attack was about this time! I hate that!

Saturday I had planned to do some Christmas shopping! Of course, it's kind of hard to get into the spirit when it's 900 degrees outside, but I got a little bit done. I also had to go get groceries, so that was exciting. :) Did you know that Target doesn't have their deli section anymore?! I wanted chicken fingers, but they only had a tiny little box with 3 of them in it in the chicken warmer thing! How dare they! 3 chicken fingers isn't enough to take home to my house! What were they thinking? Anyway...Steve had been working at church all morning and was doing yard work when I got home from Target. He had hoped I'd be able to help him when I got back, but no dice! *Evil Grin* I still had to eat lunch and get ready to head out to Athens again. I ended up falling asleep on the couch for a while, but we weren't that late. My family was having a get together at my parent's house so that we could all be together to go to my Grandmother's house and get out the stuff we didn't want sold at the Estate sale.

It was kind of sad, this little party we had. My Grandmother had wanted everyone to get together at her house again for home made ice cream, and it was supposed to be on Saturday. Unfortunately she passed away Monday morning, but we still got together in her honor. It made my dad cry. :( However, once we got passed the being sad, we had a good time. All of the little Martins were there. My cousin Scott had his 4 kids and Michael had his son. Add that with Angie's kids and that made 7 kids ranging from 2-12 running around. It's one of those moments that make me happy that I only have two dogs! Heeheehee. Nah, they are sweet little kids, really. Somehow I got put in charge of taking their picture and as we all know, I have zero knowledge on how to handle children. My uncle Mickey had to help me round them up, but we got the picture made. I think my mom did that to me on purpose! I know for a fact, everyone was laughing at me! It's a good thing I love my family. We finally went down to Grandmother's house and I was shocked that it looked so empty. I suppose it's a good thing that Dad and his brother are not holding on to everything for too long, but it seemed to be almost too quickly dissassembled for my taste. I already knew what I wanted to take, and luckily no one else wanted it. I had mentioned before that she had all kind of costume jewelry, so I got that. I also wanted the big box of buttons that she had. It might sound strange that I wanted this box of buttons, and no one but my family will ever really understand why they are important. She kept a cigar box full of the most amazing buttons from everything you could think of. When I was little, I used to take the box and play with them for hours. The parents also used the buttons when they would play cards, instead of using money. It was just one of those things that you could take a look at and immediately think of my Grandmother. So when I mentioned that I wanted these buttons, no one else seemed interested in taking them home, but they helped me look for them and we couldn't find them! We tore the house apart trying to find those buttons, but we never found that box. The whole family got upset that we couldn't find those buttons, but Dad said he'd tell the people tagging stuff for the estate sale to be on the look out for them. Hopefully they will turn up. We found a lot of other interesting things in our crazy button search. I ended up with two boxes of things that no one else wanted. I couldn't help it. I am extremely sentemental and I love antiques. I love to own things with a history, especially things that have family history. If I could have taken everything in her house home, I would have, but of course that would have been silly. I just can't stand the thought of someone coming in who didn't know anything about her and taking her stuff away! However, some things just have to be done, I suppose. I do have quite a few of her things now, and my parents let me have her engagement and wedding rings, the wedding band I now wear with my own set. I don't think I could have stood that going to strangers, so it's a good thing! : ) Now I just have to find a place for all of this stuff!

Sunday was another regular sunday except that we didn't have lunch with my parents. My mom was exhausted after this week and didn't want to cook, and Steve and I have had to fill up the car two times since last Monday and it needs more gas again, so we decided to just stay at our house. Once we got home, we slept. Oh, how we slept. It was wonderful. There is something about a Sunday afternoon nap that just makes you feel so cozy. I'm even tempted so say that you sleep deeper and better on Sunday afternoons that most any other time you take a nap, but don't quote me. :) Sunday night we went back to church and we had an ice cream social afterwards. There was so much ice cream and cake and cookies, you wouldn't believe it. I didn't actually eat any of the ice cream, though. I just wasn't in the mood, if you can dig that. However, some wonderful lady made a crock pot of homeade fudge sauce that was better than any kind of topping I'd ever had before. I almost didn't try any, seeing that I didn't have any ice cream, but after hearing everyone raving about it, I decided to try it. I was going to dip a plastic spoon in and taste it, but I ended up getting busy washing dishes and never got the chance. It wasn't until we were cleaning up that someone brought the ladle to the counter and laid it aside to be washed. I picked it up off of the little plate it was on and couldn't help myself. I just started licking it off of the ladle. It wasn't one of those dainty little sauce ladles, either, it was a soup ladle! It was WONDERFUL! I was just standing there, licking the thing with careless abandon, my toes tingling, when I got caught. One of the other kitchen ladies started laughing and pointed me out to the preacher, who started laughing too. I tried to wipe mt face and realized that not only was the chocolate all around my mouth, it was on my nose and everything! You know, I'm not ashamed and I'd do it again! It was that good!

Well, that was my weekend! Hope you had a great one!

No comments: