Tuesday, January 23, 2007

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

*There is a whole new crop of Camp counselors who have recently been hired. It's a lovely sight to see all of the fresh faced, excited, space-geeky folks who come in every year. Of course, in about 2 weeks 80% of them will have quit because they will find out what kind of children they will have to deal with on a regular basis. Uck. However, I do give them props for attempting it. I'm certainly not that brave. Steve was a camp counselor very briefly before he got smart. The only proof I have of it is his "Certificate of Achievment" that he got by passing the training and a picture of his training group. I think only one person that trained with him still works here.

*Speaking of counselors, there is a guy downstairs who I went to high school with. Either he doesn't recognize me or he's purposfully avoiding me. I can't completely blame him, because he was one of the few people I knew that I didn't like, and I knew he didn't like me. We were in the band together for a while. Sure, I could say hello, but if he's avoiding me on purpose it will be awkward. If he has completely forgotten we knew each other, he'll think I'm crazy. Either way, I don't think I'm going to worry about it. :)

*I got invited to a wedding in France! My friend Paul and his finace, Carine, are getting married in April. Unfortunately, their wedding is going to be during my finals, so I can't go. :( Paul was an exchange student at UAH and he worked at the SpRocket when I was in the museum. Josh and I got to know him pretty well (since Josh is fluent in French and could translate what Paul couldn't say in English.) He came to visit in 2001 and when we picked him up at the airport, we asked what he wanted to do while he was here. The only thing he said for sure was that he wanted to watch the Super Bowl and go to Hooters! I suppose that sort of thing is international! Heeheehee. At any rate, Félicitations, Paul and Carine!

* Have I ever talked about the "Speed Bump Kids" who live on my street? In the last few years, we have had a lot of families with small children move into our neighborhood. Normally I'd be fine with that, but for some reason, the parents of these children feel compelled to let their children play in the street. It would be one thing if we were on a cul-de-sac or on one of those streets where there was never any traffic, but that isn't the case. The children have no clue how to get out of the way when cars are coming, either. In fact, I've gotten dirty looks from the parents who have seen me drive down the street because I apparenetly have no right to drive when their children are playing there. They could, oh, I don't know, tell their kids to get into someone's yard until I pass, but no. So I have to dodge these little kids every time I come home from work. It's been even worse since our street got repaved. They take all of their scooters, bikes, skates, big wheels, etc. and drag them to the foot of our driveway (I'm not kidding) and ride them down the hill. They also apparently don't realize that the big black truck and silver convertable that drive past them every day, need to turn into that driveway, so they stand there IN our driveway until we stop cold. Then the seem to get it. I wouldn't care about this at all if I thought that they had the sense to move when they see a car coming, but I'm scared I'm going to flatten one of them.

* I was sitting in my office yesterday and out of nowhere, I heard a choir start singing "God Bless America" in the museum. Well, actually, it was an Asian children's choir, so it was more like "Gah Bress Amelica". It was cute, and they were really very good. Why was an Asian Children's Choir in our museum singing "God Bless America?" You got me.

*Valentine's day is coming up. I walked into Target last night and was assaulted by hearts and kissy-fase stuff. I realized while walking down those aisles, that I wasn't the least bit tempted by anything there. Can you believe it? I've finally found something that can make me lose my appetite for chocolate! Oh the humanity.

No comments: