Thursday, January 04, 2007

Yep, still off of work. I'll be back on Monday, so don't be alarmed.

I had to drop my aerobic kick-boxing class for this next semester. :( I wanted to take it, but I realized that leaving work in the middle of the day to take a class that will make me tired and sweaty probably wasn't the best plan. Maybe I'll just take it in the fall...as a regular person instead of a student! Yesssssssssssssss.

OK, well, yesterday I was sitting in my office, wearing my nightgown (or football jersey, if you will) and the doorbell rang. I froze, not altogether sure what to do! Normally I'd answer the door, as would anyone I suppose, but I had a problem. I wasn't wearing any pants. Unlike some people I know, I don't normally just sit around the house sans pants, but it was still early and I hadn't had the chance to take a shower. Anyways, I digress. I didn't know what to do! No one really just drops over, and I couldn't just open the door not wearing any pants (unless it's the neighbor's birthday...) so I decided to be very still and pretend not to be home. Just as I thought that whomever it was had gone away, they knocked on the door. I figured that if someone was going to stand at the door for that long, they must need to see me, so I ran to the other end of the house, threw on my fuzzy robe, and ran to the door. No one was there. At first I thought I had stroked out or something, but then I saw someone at the end of my driveway, and I waved. The lady turned to her friend and got something from him, and then walked back to the door. As she got closer *wince* I realized that she was carrying "The Watchtower" and a bible. Now, I've been with my mom and grandmother when they sent the Jehovah's Witnesses off with fleas in their ears. It always embarrassed me, because hey, they are just doing their thing! Different denomination or not, I don't think it's polite to tell a missionary to kiss off. So I stood there and talked with her a minute, accepted her Watchtower and Awake! booklets and offered her a drink. She didn't accept, but she was very nice. I didn't tell her I was pretty content with being Baptist, but I figure it didn't really matter in the long run. After she left, I had a moment of unreality, though. I didn't know when I woke up that morning that I'd get Jehovah's witnessed to while not wearing any pants.

Now, I have one question about the Jehovah's Witnesses. I did a little wikipedia checking about the religion and I read something that confused me. They believe that only 144,000 people will get to heaven, right? One of their things are going door to door telling other people about Jesus, right? Aren't they shooting themselves in the foot to tell other people about it?

EDIT: OK, I did a little more digging. Apparently 144,000 go to heaven and the rest go to an earthy paradise. I just suppose everyone is jocking for the heaven spots. Inelegant, but accurate as far as I can tell.

No comments: