Friday, February 10, 2006

FRIDAY! Woo-Hoo!

I have to write early because I have a feeling that things are going to get crazy again today. Yesterday was nuts, but more on that later.

If you give out cool points, please give about a million to Steve, who is awesome! He came in last night and asked me when I wanted my Valentine's Day and birthday gifts. We don't usually celebrate either of those days and we'll be in Birmingham while his mom is having surgery on the 14th, so I decided that I wanted them right that second. I can't help it, I like presents. Anyways, for Valentines day, he bought me chocolate. *drool* As stereotypically female as it sounds, I looooooove chocolate. I especially looooooove dark chocolate with stuff on the inside, and he had bought me a box of truffles! There is apparently a new chocolate boutique in the mall, and he got them there. Excellent! Then he gave me my birthday gift. He handed me a little white jewelry box, and I was all "It's jewelry!" That might sound kind of lame, but this is the same man who told me that buying jewelry is a waste of money because you can't do anything with it except wear it. I could make the same argument for underwear, but I digress. Inside were the most perfect, white gold and princess-cut diamond earrings! I had told him a long time ago he didn't have to buy me diamonds again until I was 50, but he did anyways! : ) White gold & diamonds are two of my favorite jewelry components (sapphires being the third) so score for Steve! What a sweetheart. He's really getting good at surprising me. You know, it isn't really even about what he got me, so don't think I'm just greedy, but he obviously put a lot of thought into my gift and that means more to me than anything. So the award for Kelly's Best Husband goes to *smiles nervously and tears into envelope* STEVE!

Other than that, I had a very, very,very long day! I got to work a little late, because I'm slow in the mornings now due to my gradually elevating age, and about the time I fixed my oatmeal, things went crazy. I had to retouch and format some images that looked like they had been photographed in a raging dust storm and then chewed on. Then I got the word that everyone and their grandpa needed some signs for an event taking place the next day! Oops! They forgot to say anything earlier this week. So I'm busting my hump trying to get these things done, and I keep getting phone calls or e-mails. I mean, it's my job, and I love doing it, but I WISH some of these people had had the foresight to request these things a couple of days before they needed it. Then my boss comes hurrying in here with another request. My boss is probably one of the most laid back guys you'd ever meet, so him looking harried is a little weird. He told me I needed to speak with a lady in one of the classrooms downstairs about some signage she needed "...and we'll converge here after lunch and compare notes." His urgency got me moving. I grabbed the lab coat with my tools packed up in the pockets and ran down there. No one was home. So I wait and wait and wait and finally someone shows up. I find out more than halfway into my conversation with her that she isn't the woman my boss told me to talk to, and that the RIGHT lady was at the ERC across the continent that is our parking lot. So me, in my high heels, trek across to talk to the lady. When I get there, my boss was there looking a little sheepish, and he told me he had made a mistake. He had tried to call my office, but I had already bugged out when he called, so I came down there for nothing. He drove me back to the main building, and by the time I got back to my office my feet had swollen so badly that I had to take my shoes off. Not only that, I couldn't put them back on and walk, so I had to use my "Emergency Keds" that I keep for situations such as that. I already looked homeless, so that only made it better. I got to work on the stuff, but I had to stay 2 1/2 hours late to get it done. I still have one tiny bit to do, and I'm going to try and finish that this morning.

I have to explain my poor wardrobe choice yesterday, too. I have a job that thankfully doesn't always require me to be dressed up every day. I do probably not dress as nicely as I should some days, but I've learned that whenever I do dress up, I am given the task of climbing some ungodly high structure or I have to waller underneath an exhibit that hasn't been moved or cleaned under since about 1986. Anyways, yesterday I was going to wear jeans. However, I figured that I probably wouldn't have to do anything strenuous, so I changed into a dressier outfit. Several of them, actually. I was having one of those "nothing feels right or looks good" days. I'm sure we all have those. Anyways, so I pulled on a pair of slacks and were probably a little too small. Not trashy-too-small, but noticable. I was running too late to change them again, so I just rooted around for a longer shirt, determined to leave with whatever I picked. I just happened to find a button up shirt that created the silouette I was looking for, but the outfit didn't match. My pants were yoohoo brown and my shirt was black with metallic silver stripes. It was BAD. I pretty much knew I looked unfortunate, but I said screw it and threw on my heels and went to work. I probably don't have to tell you I wore my lab coat or my jacket almost all day, do I? Add the white Keds to that later, and I was FOXY! : )

No comments: