Monday, September 18, 2006

Elmer Fudd Ain't Got Nothing On Us!

Saturday night I was sitting in the living room reading when Steve opened the garage door and called for me. The way he sounded, I thought I was going to have to go kill a spider or something, so I steeled myself and walked into the garage.

When I asked what it was, he pointed behind the dog food container and said "Bunny!" Sure enough, there was this tiny, perfect, sweet little brown bunny hiding back there. As Steve and Josh sat outside, it had apparently hopped in and realized it was boned. There was no place for it to go once we spotted it. Since we like bunnies and didn't want it to die hiding from us, we had the bright idea to scare it out of the back door so that it could go on it's merry way while the dogs were inside sleeping. I grabbed the "Going Outside Stick" better known to everyone else as "the Broom" and slowly worked my way to the right of the bunny. My intentions were to put the broom in front of it so that it couldn't hop any further into the garage and get lost among the asteroid belt of junk we have in there. Unfortunately, little bunny Foo-foo saw me raise the broom and took off before I could put the broom down and ran into our shelves.

OK, so we have a bunny loose in the garage. Steve and Josh are near the garage door and I have now wedged my way behind an unused server rack so that I could stick the broom into the shelving to scare the bunny out from behind the boxes. So I gently stick the broom behind the shelf and shake it. No bunny emerges. I move a box and shake the broom again. Still, no bunny. All I could think of was that bunny dying in our garage and stinking up the place, so I went another rout and began beating on the shelf with the broom handle and yelling "RUN BUNNY! RUN AWAY!" This still got no bunny, but Steve and Josh got a kick out of it. :) So Steve gets the idea that we could open the big garage door and bring one of the dogs out on a leash. I mean, dogs hunt, right? They are supposed to sniff things out AND our dogs catch and eat rabbits all of the time! So I move away from the shelves as Steve brings Bear out on his lead. Of course, the only time we really have Bear on the lead is when we take him to the vet, so he's cowering and lying down and generally being a chicken-dog. Steve finally pulls the dog over to the shelves and Bear just sits on Steve's foot. I went back inside and shut the door because Bear kept trying to get inside, and Steve makes him start looking around. Well, we found out quick that Bear is NOT a hunting dog. So Bear comes back in and we get Butler on the lead. Butler is a Labrador Retriever...he's supposed to retrieve things! Butler immediately chokes himself with the lead and tries to get back inside. I have to close the door again and Steve closes the garage door and lets Butler loose. This didn't work either because Steve brought him right back inside and Butler looked ashamed. Apparently, Butler doesn't retrieve. So once the dogs are safely back in the kennels, Steve and Josh go back outside and I start hearing things move around. Then I hear Josh start to bang on the metal shelf again. They had to chase the bunny all around the perimeter of the garage before they set up an obstacle course that looked like a game of Mouse Trap. I don't know how long they were out there, but they never saw the bunny again. We are hoping that it somehow got out while Steve and Josh were playing Wylie coyote.

What I want to know is, how can a bunny the size of an egg cause so much trouble?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once trapped baby rabbit, maybe 4 inches long, underneath a five gallon bucket and waited for him to settle down. Iwas careful not to set the bucket down on him, afterall I didn't want to crush the little booger. After I placed the bucket over him there was all this noise and you could feel it running into the side of the bucket for about two seconds, then .. ......quiet. When I lifted the bucket, there he was quietly laying there. He was dead!
I deduced from the stress of having been trapped killed him. So if you didn't see the bunny after he went behind something, he may have died.