Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Oy, what a Christmas!

Don't worry, that is a good "oy" and not an "oy" followed by "vey." :)

This past holiday weekend was so busy! I honestly don't remember Friday night. I'm sure it was all last minute shopping and possibly wrapping gifts, but it's a complete blank to me at the moment.

Saturday I did laundry and a mountain of dishes. It was also the day we celebrated Steve's birthday with his dad and Grandma. That night we went to Mr. Lee's house and ate a great deal of very good food and one of his Grandma's dried apple cakes. Mr. Lee wouldn't let me help at all with anything, so I sat around feeling quite useless. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I was sooooooo clumsy that night. I kept knocking things over, dropping my fork, and I believe there are probably some croutons lodged under the refrigerator after I shot them off of my plate while trying to eat a salad. Those suckers flew! I also managed to drop a whole lot of other people's forks while clearing the table. Seriously, I'm lucky I didn't hurt myself or anyone else. One of Mr. Lee's photography friends joined us for dinner that night as well, and we all spent the evening looking at 3D slides of a trip they had taken to Utah. It was a lot of fun. :)

Sunday was church, of course, and it was also Steve's birthday! I couldn't remember how old he was going to be, but it turns out he is 33! OLD MAN! My mom invited Mr. Lee and Grandma to lunch with us and we had Steve's birthday lunch with everyone. It was a lot of fun, and once again we were fed like prize cattle. I felt like a puffer fish after it was all said and done. I didn't go to church that night because I was in charge of dessert for our Christmas eve lunch with my Dad's side of the family. I spent hours and hours putting the finishing touches on gingerbread people, baking cookies and spilling sugar all over the place. I also made cupcakes. I didn't sample anything while I was cooking, but I think I inhaled enough powdered sugar to almost go into a diabetic coma. Since it was Steve's birthday, I also spent the evening watching "The Empire Strikes Back" at his request. I had to watch a lot of it from the kitchen while I was baking, but that didn't seem to bother him at all.

Monday was Christmas eve, of course, and we went to Mom's house to have lunch with the Martins. I didn't know how it would be without Papa there, so I was apprehensive about how I would handle it. I really missed him, but I enjoyed spending time with my cousins and their thousands upon thousands of children. Well, in reality, there were only 7, but they were as loud as thousands upon thousands of children. One of my cousins had just given birth two days before and I didn't think she'd be there, but she was. Her baby was even still in the hospital, but he was undergoing some last minute baby things and they were going to go back and get him later that day. Yikes. My family will someday be as numerous as the tribes of Abraham, I think! Heeheehee. I think I walked into a discussion the other women in my family were having about whether or not I was ever going to punch out a couple of kids. I only think this because I went to put something away in the kitchen and everyone got quiet and looked at me. I probably wouldn't have noticed, but the last thing I heard Angie (my sister) say was "I really don't think so" and when I looked over at her she said..."What?" Angie doesn't exactly have a good poker face. At least they know that *I* don't like to be asked that question, so I don't care a bit if they were talking about me or not! :) We went from there, back over to Mr. Lee's house and we went to dinner with some of his friends. We had Chinese food. Fa ra ra ra ra...

Tuesday we went back to Mom's house and I helped her fix lunch. We had gifts and played one of Seth's games. It's now official, I am NOT as smart as a 5th grader. :( We were having so much fun that it was time to go back to Mr. Lee's house that night and have dinner and gifts over there. Steve and his grandma watched that soul sucking movie "Christmas Comes to Willow Creek," but I plugged into my iPod and ignored it. We were exhausted and over stuffed by the time we finally came home.

All in all, it was a very nice Christmas. Yay.

No comments: