Wednesday, February 27, 2008


You know, I had this whole video/slide show thing planned to tell you about last weekend, but I haven't finished it yet. Plus, I realized when I uploaded my pictures that half of them didn't turn out because of the lighting in the arena. Oh well, sez I, I'll just tell you about it. I'll finish the video and post it eventually! I know you'll just hold your breath in anticipation! : )

Last Saturday Steve and I planned a trip out to North Georgia for an evening at Medieval Times, which was Jon and Amy's gift for my birthday. How awesome is that, by the way? I would have never thought of something that cool. Our goal was to leave super early in the morning, make it out to Waleska to visit for a few minutes, and then head over to Duluth (YOU CAN'T HANDLE DULUTH!) where Medieval Times is located so that we could loiter at the mall until it was time to get in line to get in. Unfortunately, Steve and I overslept so we left a good two hours after we had intended to. We also managed to get behind the slowest. Moving. Vehicles. In. The. Country. The way we travel, a great deal of our trip is on two lane roads, so there is little to no chance of passing anyone unless you don't value your life. So, BOO ON THE TRAFFIC! Our usual 3.5 hour drive became closer to 4.5 hours because of those jokers!

We finally arrived at the McGee house, to which there was much rejoicing. Their daughter had apparently thought we died or something since we were so late! Luckily, that wasn't the case. As we waited for the donning of the shoes and the last minute potty breaks, Amy gave me an adorable fleece scarf that she had made me. It had dogs all over it, so of course I loved it! Neither party had a vehicle large enough to accompany all of us, so Steve and I followed the McGees to our destination. I don't know what was wrong with Steve and I, but we got goofy and laughed practically the whole way there. We also sang show tunes very loud and somewhat out of tune. It was fun. When we finally arrived, I was kind of in awe of the place. Medieval Times was not just a big building where the various activities are held, but it actually looks like a giant castle! It was amazing. I know I must sound like a complete rube for saying that, but for someone who didn't even think the place actually existed until very recently, I believe my awe is justified! Since Steve and I had made us so late, we had to go get in line immediately. We had general admission tickets, so it was first come/first serve as far as the tables we were going to get. We were in the red section, number 5! When we came through the door, we were greeted by the king himself and had a picture made with him. Then we were released into the gigantic lobby/gift shop/bar area. There were owls and falcons (live ones), men in tights, women in serving wench costumes (they actually call them that...) a giant fireplace, and suits of armour! It was so interesting! The king knighted a few of the pre-paid birthday guests and the falconer gave a talk about her bird. We sat around until they called us to come into the arena.

The show was so much fun, with only a tiny bit of cheese involved. I mean, it was grown men pretending to be knights, so there had to be a little cheese, but all in all it was very entertaining. Since we were in the red section - with all of us wearing red crowns and sitting under red lights - we got to cheer on the Red Knight. I don't know how the guy really felt, but with a constant giant smile he looked like he was having a blast. He was very good on the horse and a fine jouster. He also threw flowers to some of the ladies in the crowd and Amy's daughter caught one of them. She was so excited. There were dancing horses, sword fights, a wizard and lots of fog effects. It was so much fun. Amy had even arranged for a pewter flower and a poem be delivered to our table for me! It was so sweet! They also announced the names of the people who were celebrating birthdays and what-not. For some reason the guy mispronounced my first name, but I think he was laughing at something someone had said to him before he got on stage, so I won't hold it against Sir Longhair for that.

The food itself was tasty, but a little complicated simply because we had to eat with our hands. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the first course they gave us was soup. Soup. That had to be someone's idea of a rather cruel joke, I think. How the hell does someone eat soup without a spoon, you may ask? Well, they serve the boiling hot soup in a bowl with a handle. Not just any bowl with a handle, but a metal bowl with a handle. I'm guessing that back in medieval times they didn't understand thermodynamics if that is how they served soup. I burned my hands, my lips and my nose trying to eat it, so I gave up. It was soon replaced by half of a chicken and a spare rib. I have eaten this kind of stuff with my hands before, so no problem there. Then they gave us half of a potato and a "pastry of the castle." The potato was kind of difficult, but the pastry was easily held and not hot, so score!

The Red Knight kicked butt and took names in the "fight to the death" and we cheered for him like crazy. The "bad guy" Green Knight was kind of hot, so I cheered for him quietly when our serving wenches were out of ear shot. :) All in all, it was so much fun and certainly something I'm glad Amy and Jon thought of for me. Thanks, you guys! I had a blast!

After some mall browsing, Steve and I left the mall and headed home. We followed the McGees as far as Canton, and with a short conference to make sure we knew where we were going, we were on our way. The heater in Steve's truck is broken, so I think I almost succumbed to hypothermia on the way home. I was trying so hard to stay awake so that Steve wouldn't fall asleep, but I was a total Pez head. I was wrapped up with my coat and new scarf, but I was still freezing. I get sleepy when I get cold, though. With the added distance from Duluth, I think it was close to 5 hours getting home, so I was glad to get inside and get warm again. It was a fun night!

1 comment:

Kenny said...

And then the king showed you to the gift shop.

This is precisely how it was back in the day ...

Sounds like you had fun. Good to hear!

(Next time try hooking the index and middle finger together: impromptu spoon!)