Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Long time no blog, huh?

Well, it's been a while since I've posted anything, but I have a few minutes before I have to dive into the fascinating world of medieval frescos, so I thought I'd catch up on my self centered talking-about-myself! : )

Saturday was the day that I had offered to work for a special function in the museum. It's been about three years and change since I had any face to face customer service expirence, so I was afraid that I had forgotten what to do. I didn't do so bad, actually, except for when some smart alec asked me some technical questions about the SR 71 Blackbird (which is a spy plane we got from the CIA some years back). Now, when I worked in the museum, I might have known the answers to such questions, but now I have no clue. The dude just looked all smug and walked away telling his buddy that "people who work here should know about stuff like that". It was all I could do not to jump over the information desk and snatch the hair off of his fat head! I mean, HELLO, even if I did work in the museum, how am I supposed to know how the tracking system of a CIA spy plane works?! Trust me, when you get paid minumum wage, you don't take the time to do research on such stuff. Something tells me that he already knew the answer to what he was asking, but he was just showing off for his friend. Wow, Mr. Smart Guy, you knew more about the spy plane than the graphic artist, give you a cookie. Anyways, all I really had to do was tell people where the bathroom was and give out movie tickets, so I did fine for the rest of the day.

The only thing that made the day uncomfortable was that it was hard not to stare at people. Now, I'm not a rude person, and I don't usually just STARE at people who look different, but there was A) a little people's convention going on and they were meeting in our museum. I would have been fine if Shannon hadn't started singing the Oompa Loompa song earlier that day. Yes, I know that is horrible, but the seed was planted in my brain, and I had no way to keep it from growing. B) There was a guy who had apparently been in some kind of horrible accident and had, at some point, had the top of his head taken off and stapled back on. I looked up and immediately looked at his head. I looked away, and then my eyes went back to his head. I answered his questions, and COULDN'T STOP LOOKING AT HIS HEAD!!!! I was horrified at myself! I mean, I've seen scars before, but nothing like that. Ever. C) This last one was extremely uncomfortable for me, but I know for a fact that I wasn't the only one who stared at this lady, so I don't feel quite so bad. There was a woman who had obviously had...enhancement surgery...to her chest. She was wearing a low, low, low cut top, and she had a tattoo on her right breast. Now, as a woman myself, this shouldn't have been anything I haven't seen before, but when you see them pushed up under someones chin with a rose growing out of her cleavage, they were like magnets. She was also kind of tall, which put her chest right about eye level with me. I really tried to look at her face...really. I finally just had to look at the top of the desk and answer her questions. It was horrifying. Pretty much after that, I got groceries and went home. That was as exciting as it got.

Monday night, I got so sick. I was doing my homework and I noticed that my eyes were getting really blurry. I took off my glasses, thinking that I was straining my eyes, but I started getting a headache. Not a bad one, but it was uncomfortable. As I did more homework, the headache got steadily worse. At first I thought it was a sinus headache, unplesant but not unbearable, but the longer I waited to take anything, the more huge it got. It finally got to the point that I couldn't think without my brain pounding against my skull, and it was making my stomach do flip-flops. It was like being severely car sick, but I wasn't moving. I called Steve in the room and asked if he would bring me a piece of candied ginger (because this stuff is magic! If you get nauseated, eat a little bit of that and all the yuck feeling goes away. Try it.) Well, he brought some to me, but it didn't work. I got up and stumbled to the medicine cabinet to get some Excedrine, and I went back and laid down and wrapped my head in a blanket to keep out the lights, but the medicine didn't help either. Suddenly, I knew that I was about to be sick, so I had to get up and once again shuffle to the bathroom. I was trying to talk my body out of rejecting dinner, but it didn't work. That was the first time in almost 7 years I have thrown up (TMI time, huh?). After that, I started feeling less nauseated, but the headache wouldn't go away. So I didn't get to finish my homework, and I went to bed. I still felt like trash when I got up the next day, so I had to call into work, and I just went to school long enough to drop of my math homework and take my plate to the printing lab. I came home and slept for hours. I felt much better by that night, and I'm glad. Apparently I either had a true migraine or someone shoved an ice pick up my nose and was stabbing the right side of my brain. I hope this doesn't happen often. Yuck.

Well, that's about it! Aren't you glad I took the time to write about that?! : )

No comments: