Monday, October 03, 2005

It's not safe to be an old person...

Have you noticed lately that a lot of old people are dying in really horrible ways? First there was the retirement home in Louisiana that flooded and killed 35 of the people left in there (and just for the record, I hope the people responsible for that are placed in a large glass tank filled with those bugs that clean flesh off of bones for forensic teams). Then there was the awful bus fire that happened while trying to get the elderly out of Houston before hurricaine Rita. Now I just found out that about 49 of the people on that tour boat in NY were senior citizens on a pleasure cruise. How freaky is that? Note to self: When I get old, I'm not leaving the house.

Anyway. I had a plesant weekend, sort of. Friday night after work, I went home with the express purpose of working on my proposal. I fell asleep for a while, and then I got down to business. Steve was out to dinner with some friends of ours (I had to beg off to study. I swear, if I don't get out of school soon, I'm not going to have any friends left!) so I had the house to myself. I got quite a bit of work done as far as research, but I got sleepy again and so didn't get it finished.

Saturday I was going to finish the stupid thing in the morning, but I got caught up watching a marathon of Smallville. I really like the show, but I get frustrated easily with it because it contradicts its self so often. I usually just walk out of the room so as not to try to get into a deep philosophical conversations about the inner workings of Superman. It's really not worth it! That night Steve, Greg, Shannon and I went to see The Corpse Bride, and I really liked it. Much like other Tim Burton movies, it was plesantly macabre. I found out that it is based on a legend based on a true story, of sorts. I mean, the story told isn't true, but apparently once upon a time anti-sematism was so bad in this one place (Russia, maybe?) that some people would waylay Jewish wedding parties and kill the bride and bury them on the side of the road in their wedding dresses. Ew. That is where the original legend was born and THAT is what the movie was based on. Anyway, it was actually cute, in a Stephen King-ish sort of way.

Sunday was the norm. Church and my parent's house for lunch. I got totally burned by my 11 year old nephew, Logan. I wouldn't normally think it was funny, but it WAS funny coming from him. He was sitting there eating and said "My face hurts!" I think he had a sunburn. I looked at him and said "Well, a face like that ought to hurt." He laughed and said "Does your face hurt, Aunt Kelly?" I said no, and he said "Well, it sure is killing me." I was not expecting that! Spoken like a true smart-***. : ) I also threw a football with my dad, and I've come to realize that I might not have been half bad with sports if I had ever had the inclination to play them. I mean, my 7 year old nephew is better than me, but I'm not totally hopeless. I went back home to finish the paper, and I finally did in time to watch MORE Smallville (on DVD) and have dinner. I really, really hate MLA style bibliographies. REALLY!

That's about it I guess. It wasn't a bad weekend at all, but it would have been a thousand times nicer if I didn't have the homework! All life is like that, I guess. It makes me wonder if I really want to go back and get my masters, after all!

No comments: