Thursday, October 27, 2005

You CAN go home again...but there is no guarantee that you can still find your way around.

Wednesday I finally got a chance to visit with my friend that had been in the hospital for so long. For those of you who asked about her and kept her in your prayers, thank you. For those of you who were apparenly indifferent, you can bite me. She's getting better without you. : )

I drove out to Athens, where she is staying with her mom for the time being. It was really weird for me to drive out there again after so long. I usually don't go any further than East Limestone when we go out there to visit my parents, and everything looked so much the same and different at the same time. It's hard for me to believe that I used to spend so much time out there doing teenager stuff. I absolutely thought it was the most boring place on the face of the earth. Of course, I think every teenager thinks where they grew up is boring, though. I only got lost a little bit once, and that is an amazing feat since the whole town is the size of my backyard. Actually, it has grown quite a bit since I last cruised the streets. Anyway, I finally found her and we had a good, long visit. I sort of feel like I might have stayed too long and talked too much, actually, but there is nothing that makes you want to spend time with a person like thinking that they might have "shuffled off their mortal coil" not long ago. I had a good time, and I was really glad to see her again, so hopefully she and I can visit again soon.

There was only one dark spot of my whole trek out to Athens, and that was the Creme Delite was closed when I passed by. That is one of those drive in ice cream stands with the neon sign hanging over the whole deal that has been around since my parents were kids. They make the BEST chocolate milk shakes in the whole, wide world. If you think I'm wrong, I want to know where YOUR milkshakes come from and I'll do a comparison. I was hoping to grab one, if for no other reason than to taste a few memories, but alas, it was closed. Oh well, it's not really that far, and trust me when I say that I will travel a long distance for something that tastes as good as that milkshake.

No comments: