Monday, May 22, 2006




These are a couple of pictures from Friday. The bottom one shows what I was actually doing. I had to make the large Air Force Emblems (which I hate to do) and after we applied them, we had to pop the air bubbles. The top photo is my Dr. StrangeKel shot, only slighty retouched to remove unsightly ladders and light poles! Sometimes my job is so much fun!

WEEKEND UPDATE!

This weekend was rather eventful, so I'm glad I will have something to write about!

Friday evening was frustrating! After work, a bunch of us had planned to go see "The Da Vinci Code" at the new Rave theater. Steve usually gets our tickets on Fandango, but he had offered to help a friend of his here at the Sprocket put together the new IMAX film, and he wouldn't be able to access the website here. Oh yeah, Steve used to be a projectionist here, in case you're wondering about that. But I digress.

Anyways, I went to the theater to pick up tickets for the 9:40 show. I think there is some kind of wormhole to another dimension exactly where that theater is. It is huge and completely out of place in the middle of the cotton field it was built in. Imagine a rural-ish area at the base of a small mountain, trees, subdivisions, cows, a Target shopping plex built to compliment the surrounding area - and then a big, honkin' theater right behind that. Out of place is an understatement. I go in, ask for the tickets, but the girl behind the counter says "Oh, we don't have a 9:40, but a 9:45" I don't feel like giving her the eye-roll, so I just say that is fine. Well, I do a little shopping and go home to meet Steve as we are having dinner with everyone before the movie. We go to Chili's and the waitress comes around and says "Ya'll, I'm gonna be honest, our computers are down and it could take a really long time before you get to eat. Just letting you know so you can leave if you want to." So we debate for a while before deciding to just stick it out and luckily the computers came up about 20 minutes later. So we eat and as we finish, Josh gets out his ticket and says "Kelly, you bought tickets for the 6:45 show." I, of course, stare at him blankly. I remembered very clearly the ticket-girl saying "9:45" so I thought he was on crack or something. Alas, sure enough, the tickets were for the 6:45 show. Steve was ready to go over there and be assertive (a nice way to say, yell at someone) about that. Granted, it was a dumb mistake, and thankfully it wasn't my own mistake, but I didn't think it was worth blowing out an O-Ring over. So we get to the window, and the 9:45 show is sold out. Steve begins to get assertive and discuss our options with the girl behind the glass, when I just ask for my money back. Steve was not happy, but quite honestly, I didn't care. I didn't feel like standing there listening to Steve argue with a high school girl about why I was given the wrong tickets. It wasn't that big of a deal to me, so I stepped in and got the cash. That didn't go over well, but we got over it quick. We ended up going to Barnes & Noble and just hanging out there for a while.

Saturday was busy! For some ungodly reason, I woke up at around 6:00 or so and couldn't go back to sleep, so I let the dogs out and started laundry and other daily chores that I refuse to do on a daily basis! : ) I mowed the lawn and did a few other things, and once that was done, I settled back with a ball of yarn and did a little crochet work from my new book "The Happy Hooker" which is a book of crochet patterns. You know, I'm not going to lie, I bought it because the title made me laugh! However, it does have some really cute patterns in it, so expect me to be making a lot of stuff out of yarn this summer.

At 3:30, I had planned to meet Brian for ice cream. I had met Brian through Kenny, who works with him. Although we've spoken on the phone and over the computer, we had never actually met in person. He and his family were coming to Huntsville to visit his parents, so we decided to get together. I know that probably sounds weird because I'm not in the habit of meeting people I know from the internet, but he's a nice guy and I was carrying a weapon, so it was okay! : ) It's kind of funny, because Brian had no idea what I looked like! When I walked into Coldstone, he looked right past me. I had seen pictures of him on Kenny's blog, but he had never seen anything but a picture of my foot, so for a brief moment I was tempted to mess with him, but I refrained. We talked and had ice cream, and I found out he is a lovely person in person! : ) We didn't hang out for very long because he had to get back and fix his wife's car, but I had a great time.

During these events, Steve called and told me he was at a car dealership and wanted me to bring the Durango so that we could get a trade in estimate for a car he found. In case I haven't mentioned it, Steve has been diligently searching for a car for me to replace Rudolph. We'd decided that $62 a week in gas is a bit steep. So he finds this car he likes at a used lot, and we drive over there to look at it. I think we were there for two days trying to get everything straightened out, but we left with a 2004 silver Seabring covertible. I have a sexy-mama convertible! Steve hasn't let me drive it yet, but I'm sure I'll love it once I get a chance. : ) After we left the car place, we met Josh for dinner and FINALLY got to see "The Da Vinci Code." It was a great movie! I mean, the book was better, but they did a great job adapting it for the screen. It was very much as I had imagined it while I was reading it, so I wasn't disappointed. I can honestly say I can see why some folks might have gotten upset by it, but only if they couldn't keep faith and fiction seperate! I have two particular opinions about it I'll mention and then leave it alone so as not offend anyone unduly for what they, themselves, might think:

1) The big thing with the movie was that people had a problem with was that it was stated that Jesus and Mary Magdaline were married and had a child. While I don't believe that myself, the thought doesn't bother me. I mean, at least they say they were MARRIED and had a child. I don't see how that would have affected His ministry and ultimate sacrifice. It is my opinion that there could be much worse things said about Jesus than that he was married.

2) The funniest thing they kept saying was that "Jesus was mortal, so he couldn't have been divine!" Um, yeah, He was mortal. God in the flesh of man. Sent to earth to live as a man and die as a sacrifice. Granted, I think maybe what they meant was that He wasn't God's son, or that it wasn't possible for him to be God's son because he was mortal, but that in itself is just an opinion held by some people. It's already well established that some people don't believe what I as a Christian believe, so I wonder why it was so shocking.

Anyways, the movie was really great, and although I think Tom Hanks wasn't the best choice for Robert Langdon, he did a good job in the part!

Sunday was church, and Steve and I went out to lunch with some friends from our Sunday School class instead of going to my parent's house. That was a lot of fun! My allergies were still trying to kill me, and my voice was going out, and I felt like garbage, so I took the rest of the day to rest and try to get better so that I wouldn't have to miss any more work for a while. Steve and I fell asleep when we got home. I was right in the middle of a strange dream about Kayne West, Spongebob Squarepants, and the Ya-Ya Sisterhood when Steve woke me up. He said, "Is somone screaming?" I listened and I heard a weird sound, but it didn't sound like screaming. I got up and looked out of the window and saw our neighbor lady sitting on the ground. Please understand that I was still in the midst of waking up, or I would have acted much quicker, but I stood there and peaked through the blinds as she sat there and rocked back and forth. From my vantage point, it almost looked like she was holding a child, so I thought maybe one of her kids was hurt and crying, but she unfolded her arms and I saw that she was alone. I saw her shaking and thought she could have been laughing, but that was weird since there was nothing out there. It wasn't until I saw her grab her leg that I realized that she must've fallen off of the short wall that surrounds some flower beds and hurt herself. So, finally my brain engages and I get ready to run out and help her. I say get ready, because I was wearing a pair of cropped lounging pants that I have decided no other living mortal outside of the ones who live in my home will ever see me in. I'm honestly too short to wear any kind of cropped pants. They make me look like an Oompa-Loompa. So I'm scrabbling around madly for a pair of jeans that I just knew were in the laundry hamper, but not finding them. I had a rather unchristian thought as I was arm deep in dirty laundry, so please forgive me, but all I could think was "Why do these people always have crying females out in their yard that I have to attend to!" It was a breif thought, and I'm ashamed of it, and it made me feel more responsible for that lady! I was on the verge of just jumping back into my Oompa-Loompa pants and just throwing vanity to the wind, when Steve said she heard someone else out there. I peaked out again and saw her husband come and see what was wrong. So me and my Oompa-Loompa pants were off the hook. I don't know what bothers me most about the whole situation: the fact that it took me 5 minutes of watching this lady rock and cry before I knew what was going on, the fact that I felt the need to change into something more presentable before I went out to help someone who was, by then, obviously hurt, or the fact that Steve heard a woman crying and woke ME up to check it out. Oy vey. : )

I seriously need to get to work!

No comments: