Sunday, January 27, 2008

I won't bore you with all of the details of my weekend as they are scattered and uninteresting for the most part. However, I am going to complain a bit and then go on my way.

Saturday morning I went to work. I had taken Friday off so that I could TCB that would probably not have gotten done if I had waited. My brain worked it out like this: I take Friday off to do my personal business while everyone else was at work & I'll work on Saturday while all of my office mates are at home! My main problem was that my boss wouldn't leave the stinking printer alone long enough for me to print out what I needed to do. Granted, he was busy printing giant banners for the Davidson Gala, but I was beyond giving a flying rat's rear about that. I was basically in a holding pattern because I couldn't use the printer. I figured that with him gone, I could do what I needed to do and be on my way.

It seemed like a good plan.

My day started out nicely when I sliced open the base of my pointy finger on my left hand with a serrated bread knife while trying to cut open a bagel. The bleeding was most copious, but I got a Hot Wheels band-aid on it and went on my way. When I got to work, I had to crawl across the roof of the museum and kick open a door so that I could break into the room where the computer that works the big printer is located. Yes, I am so badass. :) Apparently, they don't believe that the sign and display artist needs a key to get into the room. After I fixed the lock, I went to the printer to change over to the paper I needed and realized that the boss has used all of the magenta ink and hadn't bought any replacements. *GROAN* So I had to find an old one that had some ink in it and print as many signs as I could before it ran out again. It wasn't so much that I needed the magenta ink, but the dumb printer will not print anything at all if one of the ink cartridges is empty. While waiting on my signs to print, I saw two e-mails from my boss that sucked the blood right out of my head. One was a request that I take all of the banners he had printed and add grommets to them. We have to do this with a hammer, as our business doesn't have one of those convenient little grommet punchie things. After destroying several grommets and punching a hole into the not-so-self healing mat on my drafting table, I finally figured out how to set them. Of course, then I whammed my left hand pointy finger with the hammer. I invented a few new curse words I think! : ) The other e-mail was a forward from someone who *whoops!* forgot to tell me about some signs that needed to be ready by Tuesday for when they decorate the Davidson Gala tables. When I realized how many they were going to need, I almost wet myself. With the new signs that were requested as well as the signs I already had to make, I had a grand total of 239 signs that have to be done by Tuesday. I had 239 signs and no magenta ink. Well, just as I was figuring out how I was going to do all of this, guess who shows up? If you guessed my boss, you'd be right. Do you know what he was here to do? Oh yes, he was here to print more banners. Do you know what that meant? My signs had to be cleared out of the print spooler so that he could get started on them. Oy, vey. Well, at least he was able to go to another office and steal one of their ink cartridges. For the last couple of hours I was here, I was basically waiting for him to leave the stupid printer alone so that I could use it. However, that wasn't to be. Just as I decided to leave, Sam (my boss) came into my office and told me that I needed to cut out a vinyl sign that was about 13 feet long. So I had to do that before I left. I never did get to print again that night and I was here an hour longer than I had intended. It's a really good thing I like both my job and my boss!

Sunday night I had to go back to work and finish my printing. Luckily the print room had been left unlocked and no one came in to interrupt me.

The universe is once again in alignment and all is right with the world. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it, but I'm grinning thinking of Mission Impossible Kel crawling across the roof of the SpRocket. I'm so proud to know you.
Did you get my email about Medieval Times?
I need your work email address at my work I think. If you can, please email me at amm "at" reinhardt.edu so I can know how to get in touch with you if I need to send you something stupid at work ;)

So on Saturday, did you use the Boss Launcher gun?

Kenny said...

So you think you want to be a graphic designer eh?

Yeesh.

And I HATE it when the magenta ink runs out. D'oh!