Monday, January 21, 2008

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Sulfuric Acid smells bad! This weekend, Steve and I had to deal with one of our drains being clogged. I kept pouring drain cleaner into the darned thing and nothing ever happened. I came to the conclusion that whatever was wrong with the drain was one of two things: A) the pipe had actually collapsed or B) there was a hedgehog stuck down there. Since none of the drain cleaners we had were doing anything, Steve went to Lowe's and bought some of the nastiest looking stuff I'd ever seen. It was a thick, black, suspension/liquid that came in a bottle that was pre-wrapped in a thick plastic bag. On the back label, the first aid directions took up 3/4 of the space and the last little bit was dedicated to actual usage directions. We had to have masks, gloves, protective eye wear, and a measuring cup that could be thrown away once we were done. As Steve donned the protective clothing, I stood by (wearing my mask, of course) and read the directions to him as he did the actual dirty work. My favorite part was when he was leaning over the drain just as I got to the part of the directions that said (paraphrased for ease here) "Once the two cups of Drain Cleaner of Death have been poured in, place a heavy bowl or container over open drain due to the chance of back flow of explosive hot acid." Steve jumped up with the same look on his face as Brody from "Jaws" when he first got a glimpse of the shark! We had to let it work for about 15 minutes and it apparently obliterated whatever was in the drain. It also made our entire house smell like rotten eggs and fried hedgehog. It was quite gross. However, the drain is working just fine now, so...you know...there's that!

2) I was very saddened to hear about the death of the son of Rick Burgess, one half of the Rick and Bubba radio show. He was only 2 years old. He somehow got out of the house and fell into his family's pool and drowned. My nephew was at the youth conference that Mr. Burgess was speaking at when he got the news of his son, and he called my sister and told her. It's weird. I don't know these people at all, but when you listen to someone almost every day, you kind of feel like they are your friends. It's very sad, and I hope they are able to heal.

3) I called it! There wasn't the least bit of snow up here in North Alabama this weekend. I decided at about 6:30 Friday night that I wanted to go out and get something to eat. Steve was not home, so I didn't want to go to the trouble of cooking. I also decided, since I was out, to go and get the milk I needed. I just figured that anyone who wanted to laugh at me just plain sucked, because they didn't know we were actually just out of milk! Strangely enough, Target was almost completely deserted when I got there. It was very creepy. Since the bread and milk were almost gone, I supposed to locusts has already descended and gone home. I got my milk, muffins, bagels and cookie dough. I was ready for anything! Unfortunately, it didn't snow. I wish it had. It didn't even have to stick, but I love watching snow fall. It's so peaceful. Oh well, maybe next year.

4)I had the weirdest dream the other night! I won't go through it all, but the part that I remember the best was that I was part of a cast of a television show. I had been on the show in the past, but left for some reason and was just coming back. Unfortunately, my original role had been re-cast, so I had to be given a much smaller part. The strange thing was that I had been on that show playing myself! The fact that I had been re-cast didn't really bother me until I met the woman who had been given my part. She was very nice and apologetic about taking over my role, but she also made it very clear that she wouldn't give it up under any circumstances. I kept telling her it was OK, but the more I told her I was fine with it, the more argumentative she became. It was strange standing there arguing with someone who was in a "Kelly" costume. I finally just walked away from her, but I can remember that I felt a little smug because she was apparently playing me during the "Bad Haircut of the Year 2000" part of my life. Very strange dream.

No comments: