Monday, December 19, 2005

Weekend Update!

This weekend was very, very, busy, but I had a lot of fun in the process of being busy! It's been so long since I have had fun, I almost didn't know what to do with myself.

Friday after work, I was supposed to go to Josh's new house for a house warming party. Well, actually, I was supposed to go there to cook for a house warming party. This was the first time that I had ever known anyone to close, move in, and have a party all in one day. Steve had had the day off to help Josh move, so I had to leave work a little early to go home and take care of some stuff for him, and then I went to Target to get some food and supplies for the party. Have I mentioned how much I hate shopping at Christmas time? You know, I realize that people have to put things off until the last minute sometimes, but can you explain to me why they lose any shred of human decency in the process? I was almost run over, stomped on, and hit by cars. I was able to get in and out with what I needed in a very short amount of time, amazingly enough. At this point though, I was running late. I knew I was supposed to be at Josh's house before 6, but I knew that wasn't going to happen, so I just figured that they could deal with eating a little later. : ) So after searching a while, I finally found his subdivision, which turns out not to be that far away from where I grew up in good ol' Limestone County. He now lives in one of those labarynth type new subdivisions where all of the houses are about 3 feet apart on both sides, so finding his actual house was more difficult than anything. I finally arrived, gathered all of the groceries, and went to the door. No one was there. I knocked and rang the doorbell, just in case someone was in another room, but nothing. I stood there feeling slightly silly, holding about 8 plastic Target bags and peering into all of the windows I could reach. At first I thought maybe I had gone to the wrong house, but when I looked in the windows, I saw some of his unmistakeable furniture. Well, I thought, wherever they are they'll be back soon, so I dropped all of the bags and had a seat on the porch. They actually didn't come back as quickly as I had hoped, so I sat out there long enough to start to worry about dying of hypothermia. Also, this neighbor lady kept driving by in her car, slowing down to stare at me and make sure I wasn't doing anything weird. I wanted to stop her and say "Ma'am, I'm the new breed of theif. Instead of taking things and causing damage, I bring food and set up for parties. Like a renagade Martha Stewart." Granted, I know she was probably just concerned, but if I wasn't doing anything but sitting there for her first two drive bys, it's a safe guess that I will not be doing anything the next three times you drive by. Oh, and it's a cul de sac, so I am going to notice the same car driving by many times. Way to be stealthy there, Mrs. Smith. Anyways, they FINALLY got there, and we started unpacking and putting kitchen things away. I fired up the stove and started making the snacks. I burned the heck out of my finger by being stupid, dropping a pan full of frozen mozzarella sticks under the glowing red thingies in the bottom of the stove in the process. We finally got everything cooked, we sat back and watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and proceded to have a very nice evening. We didn't end up leaving until about 1:00 am, which is later than I usually stay up, but it was worth it! : )

Saturday was going to be a full day from the begining. I had so many things to do, as well as my company Christmas party that night. I can't believe it, but I actually gt organized by making a list, with sublists and bullets, just to make sure I didn't forget anything. First off, I had to finish off my Christmas cards...minus one since I forgot to bring the address home with me. I was going to print all of the envelopes since my handwriting is so messy, so it took a little longer than it should have. That done, I had to go out and finish my shopping. I have never shopped so efficently, or quickly, in my life. I made sure that all of my purchases could be made in the same strip mall, save one store, and I was in and out of all of them in record time. Once again, I did this to avoid the angry people who treat Christmas like a demolition derby! I got home and had lunch, and began working on making my jewelry for the party that night, and also on a totebag I was making for a lady at my church. I was having difficulty getting the iron on things to look right, so I wasn't paying attention to the time. I finally look at my watch and see that the Christmas party would be starting in about half an hour! So I had to wake up Steve, who had fallen asleep due to his cough medicine, and I started getting ready. I did decide to wear my vampire dress, at the request of my husband who apprently is disgusted by my lack of pigmentation and didn't want to have to look at too much of it. : ) Now, don't get me wrong, I love that dress. It's not really a creepy goth thing like I make it sound. It's actually more of a black and purple Medieval dress with big bell sleeves and laces up the front. The only thing I don't like about it is the neckline. Somehow, I can't feel safe with the front of my dress cut to mid-sternum. Well, we arrive at the Civic center, and there is no where to park. Well, we could have parked in a gravel lot about a block away from where we were going to be, but I was wearing heels and a black dress, so I would be darned if I'd risk breaking an ankle and getting dirty before I got to my the party. As we sat in the truck, were were surrounded by a river of folks who look like they were going to a rodeo. I haven't seen that many Wranglers, Ropers, and giant silver belt buckles since my high school graduation! We found out later that the mass of rednecks were headed to a Charlie Daniels, Gretchen Wilson, and someone else concert. Also, there were 7 parties going on there as well. Me thinks that the Civic Center overbooked a bit. At any rate, we finally found a parking place across the street and found the hall we were in. There were more people there than I expected, but we were so spread out that you couldn't tell who anyone was. Steve and I chose a table off in the corner, where we were accompanied by Anthony and Alan the computer guy and his wife. We had a ball. I don't know what made everything so funny, but we laughed and joked about the ladies who were misled in their wardrobe choices (and I know that sounds mean, but when you are clearly not a size 6, you shouldn't wear a size 6...you know?) and we sang along with the music...just had a good time. I'm afraid that I am going to have to start finding a new date for these events because Steve doesn't like to dance and will not dance unless it's a slow song. I can't dance either, but there comes a point where you just need to not worry about it and have fun. So me and Anthony danced out there for a while, I finally talked Steve into dancing to the "Play That Funky Music, White Boy" song, and I even did the electric slide. Why I did that, I will never understand. I suppose it's just a relief to know I'm doing some steps right, no matter how corny the dance. After that night, Steve and I have decided to take ballroom lessons. I was afraid that people were going to think I was drunk, because I went into "Having so much fun that I began to get silly" mode. However, I was not thankyouverymuch! We finally left after all of the door prizes were given out (which I didn't win one of) and we went home to let the dogs in and go to bed. It was a full, yet enjoyable, day.

Sunday was a lot more restful. Church and my parent's house for lunch, then stopping by Steve's parent's house to visit his mom (who is still really drained, so please keep her in your prayers) and after running a few errands, we got to go home. Steve still hasn't been feeling well, he found out a few days ago that he had bronchitus (?) so we stayed home while he rested and I wrapped gifts.

I like weekends...

No comments: