Monday, December 12, 2005

Weekend Update...yee and/or Ha

Friday was my last final for this semester, and I honestly don't think I did so hot. We spent so much time doing those inane class presentations that we didn't have much time to devote to actually, oh I don't know, learning about the things we were going to be tested on. Her whole thing was "Well, you had the study guide a week before the exam." and that's all well and true, but she didn't seem to remember that we were finishing our Stupid Papers and putting together our Stupid Presentations, and studying for the billion other finals we had. But that's okay. we had the study guide a WEEK before the final. That solves everything. Anyways, so I struggle through that exam and head on down to the printing studio where I was going to finish up my projects and get everything completed before the weekend! Did I, you may ask? Well, I tried. My next to last project, the one I'd been having so much trouble with, wouldn't register. I did my best, but only one out of ten even looks close to being right. So I move on to my last project. I was so proud of this one. I took some (unsolicited) advice from a classmate and drew an abstract nativity scene. If I do say so myself, it looked really nice. I painstakingly transferred the image to the plate, got it prepped for printing, and the image wouldn't print. At. All. All of the shading, everything was lost. I didn't know what to do! I didn't have time to think up a new project, or anything else, so I ended up using an old plate of a former project to print 10 rather sad copies so that I could bring them home and do something creative with them. I still haven't gotten around to it, so we'll see. Now I'm going to have to include a note in with my final project so that the teacher will know I wasn't just slacking. Sigh. It was a very frustrating day all around.

Saturday was a little better. Steve and I had some errands to run and some christmas gifts to buy, so we did that. We also had planned on visiting his parents that night because his Aunt and Uncle from Texas were driving through town on their way back from Atlanta. We were going to have dinner with everyone. Steve found a wonderful gift for his grandma (who's visiting and who's birthday was a week ago), so we got it for her and wrapped it before we left for their house. I love to give gifts, I can't help it. It's so much fun when you can pick out something you know someone will like and watch them open it. We got her one of those electric music boxes that play 50 different songs and have little figures waltzing in a little glass fronted space down at the bottom. She loved it. : ) Then me, Grandma and Aunt Molly finished making dinner. Rhonda is doing well with her chemotherapy, but she's still weak from her first surgery and the treatments keep her kind of drained, so she supervised. : ) We ate and talked, and sat around for a while afterwards before Steve and I had to come home. It was a nice day.

Sunday, Steve woke up with a bad sore throat, so I went to church alone. I stayed through sunday school, since I'm still doing the secretary stuff for Rhonda, and I left to get Steve some medicine. I never think about the sheer amount of different kinds of medicines you can get for different symptoms, but I swear, I stood in front of that display for about 15 minutes trying to figure out what to get. I finally setteled on some viscious blue Tylonol for Sore throats, some Wal-Mart Brand numbing spray, and some of those candy sorta things that you suck on...can't think of the names of those right now. Those seemed to help a little. He was still feeling too bad to go with me to Mom and Dad's house, so I did that alone as well. Angie and her family weren't there, so it was just Mom, Dad, Tommy, and me. We had spaghetti, we watched a DVD and I promptly fell asleep on the couch. I don't honestly think I fully woke up until I was driving home. That's kind of a scary feeling! I had been asked to sing at church at night, so Steve (who was feeling better) and I went back. We invited Josh to hear me sing, Steve's grandma loves Josh to death and wanted to see him as well, and I always love it when he comes to church with us because he's Catholic. Now, he's pretty much used to visiting a Baptist church at this point, but there's always some little thing he forgets or starts to do. Our church doesn't stand on much ceremony at all, but it IS different from what he's used to, I guess. The first time we invited him, he was kind of nervous, you could tell. He had to remember not to genuflect (almost did), got halfway through crossing himself after a prayer, and almost kneeled during another one of the prayers. Afterwards he was so embarrassed, and I kept having to tell him it was okay. I mean, we are worshipping the same God, after all, and I don't think He would mind that Josh did it a little differently than everyone else in the room. Well, at least I don't think so! : ) After church we went out to eat with Steve's family and about a hundred other people from church.

So, except for my projects getting screwed up, it was a decent weekend. I don't think I've quite gotten the concept that school is out (well, except for tomorrow when I have to go to school and drop off the ill fated prints). Hopefully I will get a day soon where I can relax.

No comments: