Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Arrrrrrrrrgh!

No, that wasn't a scream of aggravation. I was being a pirate! Last night Steve, Anthony, Shannon, Greg and I went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie! Normally I don't care much for the movies that are marketed under the actual "Disney" name, but because I loved the last movie I knew that I wanted very much to see this one. It was probably not as good as the last one, simply because you didn't have the pleasure of meeting the characters for the first time, but otherwise it was a wonderful movie. Lots of action, lots of adventure, buckles were swashed, timbers were shivered, and Johnny Depp was WORKING the pirate eyeliner! It's no secret that I harbor a warm fuzzy for pretty much any incarnation of Johnny Depp, but oy! I don't know what it is about the pirate that I like so much. It's not a movie that makes you think, so don't go in there expecting Citizen Cane or anything, but it's very fun.

My only complaint about the whole experience wasn't really about the movie itself. There is one very off color joke made in the whole movie that is so subtle that you probably wouldn't notice it unless your mind had a way of falling into the gutter rather quickly. Only two people in the whole theater got it and laughed. I was one of them. *ashamed* Even Anthony, who has a very similar sense of humor to my own, didn't catch it. It made me feel even worse that I had to explain it to them all later! Oy.

Anyways, the movie was fun, if a little enigmatic towards the end (being the second movie in a trilogy that is to be expected, though), and I recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first movie. It's a little scarier than the first, so I wouldn't recommend it for children who might have nightmares. Davy Jones (not the Monkee) and his crew are singularly grotesque - but from a designer's standpoint excellently created. I give it one thumb and one peg-leg up!

No comments: