Thursday, July 06, 2006

You know, I'm curious.

I just finished reading an article on CNN.com about three people who were arrested for trying to sell Coke secrets to Pepsi. It got me thinking about how Coke has a secret formula (I think, anyway) and how it has been protected all of these years.

I don't know how accurate the crime shows like CSI are, but they always show this machine that can correctly identify just about any susbstance that is entered into it. I know the machine is real because I saw one at work on a documentary about forensics, but can it identify anything?

That being said...couldn't just anyone with access to one of these machines put some coke in there and find out what it's made of? If you know, please tell me. It's going to bother me otherwise.

That is all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could probably find the ingredients, but it would be hard to find the actual amounts of each one. -Steve

Anonymous said...

That machine would be a Mass Spectrometer. Of course you could just read the side of the can! What they were offering to sell is the proportions of the ingredients.