Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Had dinner last night with my dear friend, Kenny. As usual, we met at the "We Swear We're Not Racist" Cracker Barrel down in Cullman.

I got there a few minutes early and took the opportunity to visit the ladies room. When I was washing my hands, this lady was at the sink frantically brushing off her clothes and straightening her hair. She had the look of someone who was on a first date and wanted to make sure she looked good. This didn't turn out to be the case! As I was drying my hands, she turned to me and said "I don't mean to gross you out or anything..."

***OK, let's pause right there for a second to contemplate that statement. This is usually the thing that I least want to have a complete stranger in a public restroom say to me. I'm sure that's probably true for most of you as well. I mean, it's not a plesant thing to hear from even your dearest friends, but you can stand it because you love them and want to help them out if you can. You might also kind of know what to expect if you hear it from a friend. A stranger, not so much.***

"I don't want to gross you out or anything, but do I have throw-up in my hair?" I was a bit non-plussed. I was also torn between wanting to be helpful and NOT wanting to see if she actually did have vomit in her hair. I took the helpful route because she looked so pitiful. She did not have vomit in her hair (thank God) and I told her so. This small act of kindness on my part caused her to launch into the whole story as to what led up to her having to ask that question. I don't have any idea how long I stood there listening to her talk about her digestive disturbance, but I really, really, really wanted to leave. She was worried that she was going to have to explain to her friends where she went (which is obviously more embarassing than telling Random-Lady-In-The-Bathroom) and why she had wet spots on her clothes (ew). A word of advice...don't get the grilled chicken tenders from that Cracker Barrel! I told her to go into the store and buy the countriest Cracker Barrel shirt she could find and tell them she just HAD to have it. That made her laugh and then she apologized for having to gross me out. I just waved my hand and told her not to worry about it and then I walked out before she could feel comfortable enough to share any stories she might have had about her last visit to the OB/GYN.

Kenny was already out there on the porch by the time I came out, so as usual we sat and talked a bit. I had already solved the "where are we going to eat" problem before I got there, so that was out of the way. I knew he hadn't seen Lois, so we went to my car and decided to drive around a bit before we went to dinner. I let him drive, because let's face it, I enjoy handsome men driving me around in convertables! I can't help it. I even carpooled with Steve this morning so he could do it. Don't judge me! Anyways, I definately feel that I know Cullman a little better than I did before. I also realized how much I love driving through little towns like that and looking at the old businesses and the faded signs painted on the bricks. As I told him, I wish I could go back in time and see what places like that looked like when they were new! I don't think I'd ever want to live in Cullman, but it is a charming little place to visit.

As we had finally gotten hungry, we went to a place recommended by a couple at my church. It was called "All Steak" which was totally false because they had lots of other things on the menu! It was on the 4th floor of a bank building and it was a nice place. I had done some research on it before I met him that evening because the last time a friend and I went to a place that I had just heard about, we ended up in a redneck biker bar where they thought we were prostitutes. *That's a story for another day.* The review of it said that it was a place where the elite (or elite-ish, anyway) of Cullman come to discuss politics and football! Kenny had it pegged right away and said almost that exact thing. We were sat in a big, and almost empty, dining room. Mondays must not be very busy days for anything in Cullman. There were five occupied tables and only one server. I'd like to say she was prompt and attentive, but I'm pretty sure that she forgot we were there at times. Other than the absent waitress, I had a great time. The food and company were good and I leared several things I didn't know! Among other things, I've learned that if I'm ever a waitress at a resturaunt where Kenny dines, I'm going to need to develop a special X-Man power of knowing when his glass is empty. A battle of wits is sure to follow if his ice rattles. There is apparently a waiter named Ward that I'm going to have to have as my Shaolin Master if I want to learn that. I've learned that it is possible for a Freudian slip to make you want to die right on the spot. I also learned that this resturaunt probably has the only non-chocolate dessert that can render me a quivering puddle of goo. Orange rolls from the kitchen of heaven its self. You don't order them, but they bring them to you after you're done with your meal. I've already made plans with Josh and Steve to go back for more. After we hear the Monks chant, of course.

After dinner we drove back to the CB and talked for a few minutes before leaving. All in all, it was a lovely way to spend an evening!

When I got home, Steve had both finale episodes of "Dr. Who" downloaded and we watched them. Daleks AND Cybermen...it was almost too much to deal with. They were the last episodes with Billie Piper in them, which was sad because I liked her alot as the companion. The ending kind of sucked, but I'm still looking forward to the next season. It won't come out until next year, though. Gah! I love watching the new Dr. Who with Steve! I don't care much for the old ones, but since he knows so much about the whole story line, he can answer questions for me. Very awesome.

So my Monday was wonderful. It's days like this that make me realize how overly blessed I am! :)

No comments: