Tuesday, July 25, 2006

For centuries, phenomena in our heavens have frightened and intrigued the people of earth. We've taken the appearance of comets as signals of great destruction, the Aurora Borealis has been believed by some to give great destiny to a child conceived in it's light, and even a star lead the shepherds and magi to the Christ child. Even today, in this age of reason, we still look into the sky and marvel at the things we see there. Although we no longer worship the stars or use it's many moods as indicators of our future, we still retain a respect and awe for the things which fly through our galaxy that were not created by the human hand. Or so I thought. Sigh. Humans.

Okay, so I didn't post a weekend update yesterday as I usually do for one simple reason. My weekend was bleh. Not bad under any circumstances, but just bleh. I had taken my personal day on Friday hoping that Steve and I could maybe take a weekend trip or something, just to get out of town. Unfortunately, I forgot to ask Steve about it and found out that he had made plans he couldn't get out of! BLAST! So while we did get to spend a little time together, I mostly cleaned and sewed. I finished my bookbag for this coming year, and it's awesome! I can now see the top of my kitchen table, I no longer have giant, prehistoric, saber-toothed dust bunnies, and all of my 3 billion rolls of yarn that I have collected over the past year have been placed in a secure location. I was like Martha Stewart on speed! We did get to see a movie with Anthony Saturday night, which was fun. Sunday I knew that Steve didn't have plans, and we had made arrangements to not be expected anywhere else that day, but we still didn't do anything. However, there was always the possibility that we would run out of Knight Rider or A-Team reruns and do something, so kept my fingers crossed. It didn't work. Oh well. I did start a new book that Josh loaned me called "Pope Joan" which is about a woman who became Pope in the 9th century. It's pretty much considered fictional (or maybe not, no one can seem to agree) but it's still a very good book.

One thing I tried to do this weekend is learn how to make clothes for myself. That is the main reason that I want to learn to sew. However, it's kind of impossible to do because I have no way of fitting the pieces onto myself. I's need an adjustable taylor's form to do it, but I don't want to spend the great deal of money on something that I may not use that often. Those suckers are expensive! So I almost gave up on the whole sewing things (how many purses and bags does one person need) until I saw a home-made dress form on the internet. It looked fairly simple, so with Steve's help, I made one of my own. Actually, it's kind of ghetto, but if nothing else, it's funny. I got into one of Steve's old t-shirts and had him wrap my torso in duct tape. It actually worked pretty well, amazingly enough. My only complaint was that he accidentally duct taped the shirt to my underarms and we had to rip that off (ouch, by the way). When we was done wrapping, I looked like I was wearing a gladiator breast-plate. We took a picture, but it hasn't been uploaded yet. If I get brave, I'll let you see it. It's really funny! Then we cut the shirt up the back and I taped it back together and stuffed it with a bunch of my old newsprint sketches from drawing class. So YAY for the ghetto dress form. BOO, however, for the fact that now that I have a stuffed model of my torso...and wow, I didn't realize that I was shaped like that. Ick. I think I'm going to set it in front of the fridge to remind me not to overeat. *shudder* : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I never thought of duct tape armor back in my live action roleplaying days.