Monday, July 31, 2006

Because I know you want it, it's time for the WEEKEND UPDATE! YAY!

Before I begin on the update proper, I will go ahead and say that there are great, big holes in my memory about this weekend. I've been the epitome of a frosted flake for the past three days.

Friday was nothing spectacular, but I still enjoyed myself. Steve had offered to help Anthony do something (hole #1) and so I was on my own for the evening. Because I wasn't hungry but thirsty (gratuitus Gumpage), and because it was payday, I went to Wal-Mart and got the material I needed to do the sewing project I had planned. Gotta loooooove the $1.00 material section at Wal-Mart. I figured that with as brain addled as I have been about the sewing thing, I didn't want to spend a great deal of money on the material that I was going to use this time. When I left there I decided that I wanted to pick some dinner up on the way home. I didn't have many choices around the ghetto Wal-Mart, so I decided to just run through the McDonald's drive through. I don't really go to McDonald's very much anymore. I don't know why, really, it's just not my favorite spot, but I was in the mood for junk food and it was close. So I get into line and sit there...and sit there...and sit there. Two cars in front of me drove off before they even got to the drive through speaker thing. I was thinking about following them when the line moved up and in no time I had placed my order and moved to the first window. After giving the lady my money I sat there....and sat there...and sat there some more. Had I not paid, and not been trapped under the awning, I would have probably left. I sat there for a ridiculous amount of time before I moved up enough to see what the problem was. Apparently the ice cream machine was broken. Instead of moving the machine, which was right in the little niche of the drive through window, into the back to work on it, the genius guy had it blocking the window from the inside. The poor drive through clerk was having to run food outside to the cars. This normally wouldn't be a problem, but the lady ahead of me had apparently ordered enough food for a soccer team and kept having the girl run inside for other little stuff. By the time I got to where she waved me up to the door, she was completely ferhoodled. She walked out with two cups and tried handing them to me. I told her I had a large Sprite and that was it. So she proceeded to hand me the medium sized cup and say "Yeah, sprite!" and then run back inside. Not only was it the wrong size, it was only about 3/4ths of the way full and wasn't even Sprite! Yes, I got ticked. No, I didn't tell her. She had enough problems with her job and I wasn't going to add to them. I have a soft spot for people in customer service positions (seeing that I have had many of those jobs myself). I mean, it was a soda, not a big deal. So I went home and had dinner and began working on my project. It's supposed to be a dress. It took me over two hours just to cut the pieces out! Simplicity my foot! At any rate, I started putting it together and so far so good. It looks like what the pattern said it was going to. I only sewed this one part on upside down, but I've discovered a wonderful thing called a seam ripper, so I was able to fix it! I only have the top part finished and I didn't get any trim, so it's a little plain and it kind of looks like something from an Anime cartoon, but other than that, I'm very proud. I think that after some embellishment of a sort I might actually be able to wear it! Go me!

Saturday was full of plans and promise. However, I didn't do any of the stuff I had planned! Steve and I were going to clean up the house for the bug people to come in and spray, but we really only accomplished going to Sams and buying enough gatorate to replenish the entire Dallas Cowboys team. We also got a new fridge for the garage because we needed a place to put the gatorade. : ) Actually, we needed more freezer space, but not enough to justify buying a chest freezer, so we got this one for the freezer and to put drinks in so that they don't take up all of the room in our regular fridge. We also met our friends to go and see a movie. I kind of made a nerd out of myself at the place we went to dinner. The waiter came over and I realized he was a guy from one of my classes last year. He was really nice, but I can't say we were real buddies or anything. However, because I recognized him and I wasn't thinking, I just yelled "HEY!" like he was my long lost brother or something. I realize I tend to do this a lot. I suppose it's just the part of me who thinks of everyone as my friend, even when I barely know them. Well, unless they make me not like them and then I become EVIL KELLY. Anyways, he was cool about it, but I felt like a big dork. The movie we were going to see was Monster House in 3D. I want to say I liked it, and as far as the 3D stuff goes I suppose I did, but it was terribly morbid and much too scary for children. It was rated PG, but there were some pretty young kids in there with us. It was marketed WAY wrong, in my opinion. It's made to look like a cute little haunted house cartoon movie. You know, the kind where it turns out the house isn't haunted by a mean ghost but something much more benign. In actuality, it was like Tim Burton remade "The Haunting" and used CGA characters. I left hoping that none of the kids were scarred for life.

Sunday was another regular Sunday. You'll be proud to know that my underwear was no where in site this weekend. I'm sure everyone at church breathed a sigh of relief. : ) That was the day my brain went on vacation, though. I forgot about everything! We were supposed to be celebrating my nephew Seth and my bro-in-law Shawn's birthdays. I hadn't brought a card or a gift or anything! So I got in the internet and printed a card for Seth. He wouldn't care if it was a gum wrapper with "Happy Birthday" written on it in lipstick as long as there was money in it...unfortunately. Mom was able to find a card I could give to Shawn and I just wrote him a check. Money seems so impersonal, but in emergencies you do what you have to! We were also having a snack thing after night service, I totally flaked on that and forgot to get anything to take. I was also supposed to sing and had almost forgotten about that too. Luckily I rememberd right before church and put my tape in my purse. By the time church was over, Steve and I were drained. We just went home and remained motionless for a while. I started reading "To Kill a Mockingbird" and it is really great. How come no one has ever recommended this to me before?

So that was my weekend. Bringing you the fun side of boredom, this is Kelly Pratt reporting. : )

No comments: