Thursday, October 05, 2006

*crawls out from under desk*

Sorry about the episode yesterday. It dawned on me fairly suddenly that I'm stressed. Since it would be imprudent to actually throw a fit and break things, I felt it would be cathartic to express myself in writing. Although the satisfying sound of breaking glass didn't accompany it, it did make me feel better. : )


...BECAUSE THERE IS NO "I" IN TEAM

Since I work for the marketing department of the SpRocket, I have to go to a weekly meeting where I am probably the person least able to contribute anything to it. Since I mainly work in house, I don't have a great deal of things to tell them about when we go around the room and talk about what we're working on. In fact, it's become somewhat of a joke that when it's my turn to speak, all I have to do is say "Signs" and they nod and move on. Even though I don't have a real function in marketing, except for making the signs that other people take on trips and such, I still have to be a team player when it comes to departmental events.

The SpRocket is a big supporter of the United Way and every year we have several big fund raising activities. This year we are once again having a Chili Cookoff with "celebrity" (koff koff) judges and everything. However, since we are also having the big kickoff for the 25th Anniversary of Space Camp (trumpet fanfare) at the same time, we are going to be doing some things to bring that to the forefront and tie it in with our United Way events. Our VP is a big believer in making this anniversary a big deal, and she told us at the meeting yesterday that she wanted everyone in our department to participate in some way. I've never made chili in my life, so that was a negative for me, not to mention that each pot of chili has to be made with 25 ingredients to be entered this year. Just the thought of that scares me! I also have the problem with people not trusting anything I cook, so I refused to bake or cook anything else that I will just have to throw away later. There was really only one other alternative, and that was to volunteer to dress up as a "Pink Lady." No, not the Pink Ladies from Grease, just FYI. Apparently when they began Space Camp, they had a character called the "Pink Lady" who was basically a stewardess who wore a pink suit that had Space Camp logos on the hat and coat. Very frightening. I'm all about wearing costumes, so I said I would do that and come to the chili cookoff and do whatever it is a "Pink Lady" is supposed to do. I had to go to Wal-Mart and buy a very Jackie Kennedy lavender-ish (closest thing that they had to pink) tweed suit, which is SO not my style, and I have to figure out how to make a pillbox hat to match, but I have a plan. They said I could get creative with the costume, so I'm going to change all the buttons, trim it in black, shorten the skirt and see if I can't make it a little more interesting. As soon as I have it done, pictures will be posted. : )

Now, if you don't mind, I have some work to do.

No comments: