Monday, January 30, 2006

A late in the day WEEKEND UPDATE!

How was my weekend, you may ask? Well, as I described it earlier to a friend of mine: Not nearly long enough, soaked in bleach, yet still kind of nice.

Friday night, Steve had made plans to hang out with the fellas from the SpaceDome (you know, the IMAX theater at the SpRocket) and I had the evening to myself. I had to go to Target to pick up a prescription and buy milk. I hate not having milk in the house. Even if I'm not drinking it and it turns into cheese or something, I still want to have it there. At any rate, I made my purchases, grabbed some bad-for-me fast food for dinner, and headed back to the house to watch my DVR CSI. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know that a glitch had caused only the first 30 seconds of the show to be recorded (Curses, she said, and shook her fist). Eh, well, it'll be on Spike eventually. So I rewatched "Earl" and "The Office" while I ate instead. Steve said he wouldn't be home until 10:00 or so, so I just slothed around and uploaded some files. He actually got home at about 9:30 and immediately started watching his "Firefly" dvd. Wow, fun stuff. I'm thinking I'm going to have to invent an LCD screen, dvd playing tee-shirt so that I can at least pretend he and I are talking! He might at least face me if I had one of those! My kingdom for a decent multi-syllabic conversation that didn't involve space ships. : )

I had bought the newest Stephen King novel called "Cell", so I curled up on the couch and got lost in the story. I hope that man never retires! The book was awesome, but it wasn't exactly the best story I could have read under the circumstances of the dream I had the night before. I had the reocurring nightmare about zombies, with only a couple of new additions to it. Apparently this time I knew the whole zombie thing was going to happen, but when I would try to warn people, no one would listen to me or take me seriously. Paging Dr. Freud, right? Well, the book wasn't about your typical zombies, but close enough. The readers-digest-condensed-version of the book: A man visiting Boston for a business meeting is standing at an ice cream truck people-watching when everything goes haywire. Everyone he had seen on a cell phone suddenly goes insane. We find out later that in some kind of terrorist-plot-gone-wrong that an electronic pulse was sent through the cell phones in a mind control attempt, but it did the organic version of formatting the hard drives of people's brains. This turns them all into violent animal like creatures,and opens a telekenetic part of the human brain. So basically it was "Dawn of the Dead" without the added plus of the zombies being dead. This crumbles the infostructure of the civilized world and forces the people who were not driven insane to band together and try and end the madness. Stephen King does post-apocalyptic America better than anyone else I know. I couldn't put the book down. Partly because it was THAT good, and partly because I had the feeling that if I stopped reading it the zombies would get me. At any rate, I finally forced myself to go to bed at 3 o'clock.

Saturday I woke up bright and early (okay, it was 7:00) and tried to decide how to best spend my day. Since there was no way I could get Johnny Depp to the house on such short notice, I went for the close second on my list: "Super Cleaning" the front bathroom. Steve had already made plans to help some friends do some work, so we at least got to spend the morning together before he had to leave. After that, I got my bottle of bleach and began my task. "Super Cleaning" is something I've invented that, as you can imagine, doesn't happen often. This is where you take one room and clean it from top to bottom and focus on all of the little places you don't normally clean when you do normal cleaning. I was also going to take this time to do a little redecorating as well. Since I've lived there, there has been a definate dragonfly theme going on, stemming from the broken metal garden stakes that I bought ar Pier 1 when I worked there. I nailed those little dragonflies to the walls and had other dragonfly knick-knacks sitting around. When we were first decorating that room, we accidentally ripped some chunks out of the dry wall when we were removing the fugly wallpaper that was hanging in there. I tried everything to cover the scars, but I could never get it smooth. So I found this poster of "The Mermaid" a Waterhouse painting that exactly matched the color we painted the walls, framed it, and hung it over the scars. Perfect, except for the fact that Mermaids and dragonflies don't exactly go together. So in between cleaning stuff, I was trying to find all of the seashell and ocean stuff I could to put in there. Luckily, the beach is my favorite place in the world, so I had a lot of it. This task took me all day, but I think it's because I have a very specific kind of ADD when it comes to cleaning. Right in the middle of something, I would think of something else that needed to be done, so I would go do it. Then I'd go back to the bathroom and begin again, and the same thing would happen. FINALLY I got it clean, also disinfected since I got bleach all over the floor! Now it's lovely, but it will probably revert back to it's original state in about 3 days. SIGH.

Sunday was a little different than normal because we didn't go to my parent's house for lunch. We were going to, but Steve's truck died and he had to spend the afternoon fixing it. I couldn't go myself because he needed Rudolph to drive around to find the parts he needed. It took a while, but he figured out it wasn't a complicated things afterall, and he fixed it as good as new. I spent the afternoon working on my FLASH animation for class. I am now seriously tired of The Partridge Family. As soon as I can figure out how to post the sad thing, I am going to link to it so you can see it. As much as I hate Valentine's Day, I do love you guys, so consider it my Valentine to you! Yay! After night service, we went out to dinner with a couple from our church. We were a little raucous, but we couldn't help it. We're like that when we get together. It was a lot of fun!

That's about it for the weekend. It was full, but not unbearably so. I've got to get to work on research for "Stupid Paper #2". This one will be on Jewelry of Hellenistic Egypt. At least I am interested in jewelry. Whee.

No comments: