Tuesday, May 15, 2007

WEEKEND UPDATE – GRADUATION EDITION

Greetings, Y’all! Sorry for the tiny delay on the recap of my weekend. However, now that the imp from hell is no longer trying to squeeze my eyeballs out of my skull, and I’m no longer lying prone on the couch with a heated cherry-stone sack on my head, I feel up to the challenge of telling you all about my weekend!

FRIDAY: Amy and Jon McGee, my cousins (or rather Steve’s cousins that I also claim as my own) were scheduled to stay with us this weekend so that they could attend my graduation. I thought this to be a very wonderful gift on it’s own, but they showed up bearing more gifts of books, a movie, and a screaming graduation monkey named Fergus. We talked for a while, and then went straight on to the SpRocket so that they might see Spiderman 3 in IMAX. Afterwards, the 4 of us (oh yes, Steve was also there, heeheehee) attempted to go to Steak & Shake for dinner, but the hastareds who own it decided that it wasn’t necessary to keep it open 24 hours! BOO! So we went on and had dinner at IHOP. Although it was not good for my arteries, I had a cheeseburger with an egg on it. Shut up, it was good! I’d never heard of fixing a hamburger that way before, but apparently it was a French thing. I suppose I was taking advantage of the “International” part of IHOP. Once we got home, we sat about and talked for a while, at least until none of us could stay awake anymore. Isn’t it sad? 4 grown people who had not seen each other in a while, and when we all sit down and get comfortable, all we can do is fall asleep. Man, we are old!

SATURDAY: Steve had already promised his services to some friends of his for that morning, so I was allowed to drag Amy and Jon around to do my bidding. They were very good sports about it, though. I took them to 5 Points to walk along the row of weirdie shops and things that I never seem to get to see. There is one whole shop that sells nothing but beads. I didn’t even know it existed! We also saw a fufee house wares shop that apparently monograms everything you can buy there, as well as a place that sells cute baby clothes, toys and engraved jewelry. The McGees took that opportunity to introduce me to the world of WebKins, and I’m now the proud mother of a St. Bernard named Jacob! I also took them to Zero Gravity, the local head shop du jour. I hadn’t been there in years, but the place hadn’t changed at all. Don’t worry, it’s not just a place to buy *ahem* tobacco pipes and other accessories, they sell clothes and wind chimes, fairy stuff, dragon stuff, and big cloth posters of Jimi Hendrix. I bought a skirt and a pamphlet about Amish hex signs (from the “pagan info” section of the store of all places.) I can only assume they thought it was witchy because it said “hex” in the title. Oh, well, now my car will now smell like patchouli for a year or so. Eh. We then journeyed to the market for the purchasing of much food and an ice cream cake from ColdStone so that we might celebrate my achievement by grilling and stuffing ourselves beyond the capacity of rational thought. It was wonderful! We spent the rest of the evening watching things from YouTube.

SUNDAY: The day I’ve been waiting for had finally arrived! Since graduation wasn’t until that afternoon, we spent the morning watching “Shaun of the Dead”. Steve and the McGees left earlier than I did so that they could have lunch with Mr. Lee, I couldn’t go because of when I was going to have to be at the VBCC, so I got ready after they left. I was having trouble getting ready, from not being able to find all of the pieces of my dress to the oft mourned problem of Giant Hair, so I was almost unable to get where I needed to go on time. Right before I left, I remembered that it cost $5.00 to park at the civic center, and I realized that I’d never have time to go to the bank, so I had to grab a roll of dimes from the change jug and pay with that. The attendant looked at me like I had just grown a horn, but she was forced to take it. It was $5 after all! I finally got into the East Hall and exchanged my too short gown for one that fit (after a long wait and some random UC employee making the new one reek like cigarette smoke) and I took my place in line. I have no idea why we had to get there so early, but we ended up waiting a long time before anything happened. I was a little embarrassed since I seemed to be wearing more honor chords than anyone else, but I chose to believe it was because I was smarter than anyone else. : ) They kept getting tangled around me, which sucked, but I managed.
So I finally got into the arena, wishing that they were playing something more substantial than Pomp and Circumstance – maybe the Rocky Theme song – and we stood for roughly 12 hours until everyone got inside and prayed over and everything. I couldn’t find anyone I knew in the crowd until I’d been in there for a while. I finally spotted Steve, Mr. Lee and The McGees first, then I saw Kenny and Lauren come in, but I never found Mom and Dad (who I found out later sat in the back of the arena). I was so glad I had so many people there to watch me graduate, even if it must have been painfully boring for them all. Thanks, guys! Well, then I officially graduated. Moved the tassel, got the diploma,
shook the hand of who I can only guess was the dean of the Liberal Arts school (I wasn’t paying attention when they introduced her) and sat back down in my place. I know it doesn’t make sense, but that 1 minute and 30 second part of my day was probably one of the best I’ve ever had! GO ME!
When they finally let us go, I walked back with the class and was under the impression that everyone had already gone. However, to my surprise and delight I was able to schmooze with Kenny and Lauren, who gave me the gifts of chocolate and ice cream…*tear up*…excuse me…I promised myself I wouldn’t get emotional about it… heeheehee. I also was able to have my picture made with my parents ( I don't know what is going on with my face in that one!)






and Kenny (who I haven’t taken a picture with since 1996, and wow do we look different now!) and then I had multiple phone photos made with Steve, Mr. Lee and the McGees. I accidentally poured water all over Steve’s butt while we were taking a picture, so I’m probably not going to be allowed to put my arm around him for a picture ever again – still sorry about that, Steve! After that, my special day was over. Steve and I had to go get the truck, which had decided to die in the parking lot of O’Charlie’s . I used Lois to jump off his battery, so I looked awfully cute in my cap and gown (which I refused to take off because of the fear of what my hair looked like underneath) messing around with jumper cables. I didn’t give in to the desire to go to Wal-Mart in my outfit and buy something completely inappropriate because I felt that for that day only, I should behave myself. No wonder I don’t do it much, being an adult is boring! : ) I was finally coming down from the excitement, so I practically fell out when I got home and I slept the sleep of the righteous until I woke up to go get dinner. I was still kind of out of it, because I didn’t realize until I was almost there that I didn’t have on shoes, I had on my puffy dragonfly slippers. Oy. Good thing I was only going through the drive through.

So that is about it. I’m a college graduate now, the first in my family. Go me, indeed.

No comments: