Friday, May 30, 2008

RANDOM ACTS OF BLOGGING

1) Well, I finally got my assessment and orientation completed for my gym membership! It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still a bit disheartening. I weighed more than I thought I would (which seems strange since I just went to the doctor and weighed almost 10 pounds less only a bit more than a week ago) but other than that, it was interesting. The guy who did my assessment was Antwon, and he was really nice. I suppose he has had to deal with sensitive women in the past because he was trying so hard to be diplomatic when telling me my measurements and physical faults. It was funny, mainly because I just wanted him to be honest so that I would know what I needed to work on. I kept telling him it was OK, but he still kept back tracking to make sure he didn't offend me. As far as what I found out, it wasn't much more than I expected. I'm really out of shape, I have little to no upper body strength and I need to lose weight. Boiled down, I basically found out that if it weren't for my bones and general humanoid shape, you could carry me around in an egg shaped container and press me against news print for fun. It went a little more in depth than that, but I'm not going to talk numbers. I'm not looking to be skinny, mainly because I'm not framed to be skinny. I just don't want to wake up one day and realize that I've got heart problems, joint problems, and other bad things that could have been avoided with a little work. All I know is that I've got a ways to go before I reach my goals, so quietly cheer for me, OK? I'm going to need it.

2) This paper dragon thing is difficult. If paper craft isn't an easy thing to do on a small scale, it's certainly not easy to do on a large scale. I keep tearing pieces of the body and having to tape them back together. I just hope the thing doesn't collapse after working on it all of this time.

3) Speaking of the IMAX lobby decorations, I've basically had to go bare bones on the thing, but it may end up looking good anyways. I found a section of Chinese ideograms in a book of clip art and cut them out on my vinyl cutter to apply to the booth windows. They actually look kind of awesome, even though I'm going to have to paint in the negative spaces with white paint so that you can see them better. I hope that there aren't an awful lot of people that see them that know Chinese. Although I'm fairly positive that some of the ideograms are from the I Ching, the rest are just symbols from the Chinese New Year Calender. It seems less awesome if you know that part. However, I've already spoken to one guy who works here who said "Yeah, I totally could read some of them, but not all. Some of them are about the different styles of fighting, and one is a yin yang, but I didn't know what the others were." I knew there would be at least one smart-guy in the bunch. However, 10 bucks says that he could only read the ones he knows because there was a big picture of the animal in the middle of the graphic along with the kanji, and that he has no idea that the kanji for "Monkey" was accidentally cut out backwards! Mwahahahahhahaa.

4) My headache is back. I wish the weather would make up its mind.

5) I had to deal with a customer yesterday. I was reminded why I don't like people anymore. We are opening a new gift shop out in the park, and I was applying the window graphics on its front doors. The shop wasn't open for business yet, and there wasn't a way that the merchandise inside could be sold PLUS it isn't safe for customers to come into a place that hasn't been cleared for business because there are too many stabby, pokey, and bumpy things to get hurt on that will eventually be removed before guests are allowed inside. One family walked in to ask me questions (which I may add, could have been easily answered for themselves if they read any of the MANY signs already in the park) so I locked the doors on one side to keep guests out. Now, they didn't bother me so much except for the fact that they walked into a place that was clearly not open to the public. While I was working on the other set of doors, also locked, another woman and her kid came by and tried to open the doors I had just finished with. No dice, of course, because they were locked. Then she came over to the doors that I was working on and yanked on them. Apparently the lock wasn't fully engaged, so it opened partway and she almost caused me to fall on my face. First off, what kind of idiot opens a door that a person is working on without at least knocking first? Secondly, why didn't she realize that if the door is locked, then the place wasn't open? Well, I opened the door the rest of the way and asked what she needed. She asked if we had some kind of pin with a name on it that was sold out in our other gift shop. I told her that this shop wasn't open and that she needed to go to the main gift shop, but oh, no. She was from the UK and wouldn't ever be back again! Boo-F'in-Hoo, lady. I personally didn't think she was telling me the truth, but I couldn't call her on it. I asked if she had looked in the other gift shop (any of the other THREE gift shops) and she cut me off (which you know I hate) and reiterated that she wanted to know if we had whatever she was looking for. HATE! So me and the gift shop employee who was stocking shelves had to go on a search. We didn't have what she needed, but found something close. The girl had to take her to another gift shop to check her out. I hope that I never have to work in customer service again. Ever. As a matter of fact, I've got more to say on this matter, but it will have to wait. I've got ANOTHER bathroom sign to make.

No comments: