Thursday, May 01, 2008

Yesterday, while looking up crochet patterns for baby stuff (don't get excited, I have two friends who are about to spawn) I came across a charity that I think is a great idea. It's called CareWear, and it's a group that crochets, knits, and sews baby clothes, blankets and toys for hospitals.

Although I can't be sure, I think it must be for low income families who may not have the money to spend on a lot of baby stuff, or it is just a service that some places offer families of children who may have to stay in the hospital for some time. Most of the hospitals on its donation list are neonatal intensive care facilities, and a lot of the patterns are for preemies, but they are also in need of things for full term babies. I think I might like to do this. I mean, I enjoy making things, and making things for someone who actually needs them makes the idea even more appealing. Since it will take a lot of commitment on my part, I'm going to have to make sure I have the time to devote to doing it. I wouldn't want to half-ass doing something good. There is only one thing about it that breaks my heart, and that is that one of the things on their list of needs is burial gowns. They have patterns for them as well as guidelines, even for what they call Micro-Preemies. It just makes me sad. Anyways, I'm adding the link for any of you who may want to get involved if there is a hospital in your town that uses the service. It isn't anything you have to formally join. It's more of something you would do on an individual basis under the name of the charity.

CareWear

1 comment:

Kenny said...

What a lovely idea.