Thursday, June 15, 2006

Last night Josh, Shannon, Greg, Steve and I went to see the movie Cars. It was so good! I hadn't really thought much about going to see it, but I read an artical about it by a critic who usually shreds movies like this into little pieces and he liked it, so I thought I'd give it a chance.

I'll be the first one to tell you, I don't like racing. *GASP!* Yes. I get no enjoyment out of watching cars drive in a large oval for hours on end. If I were to ever go to a race, I'd have more fun people-watching than anything else. Sorry! But something about this movie just tickled me to death. One scene I particularly liked was set after the first big race when Lightning was in his sponsor's tent. He was just about to give his obligitory speech about the sponsor's product and everything was quiet and somewhere in the distance someone yelled "Free Bird!" I don't know how many people got that, but all of us cracked up. There's one in every crowd, as the saying goes.

I have to say, Mater was my favorite character. He reminds me of people I went to school with! :) My next favorite (well, two that tied) were Luigi and Guido, the Italian tire dealers. I love Tony Shaloub and whomever that guy was who voiced Luigi will now have me saying "peet stop?" every time we get gas for Lois. I highly recommend this movie if you would like to have a nice, fun time at the movies and aren't looking for anything too deep and involved. Two thumbs up, a fine family film! : )

From a designer's angle, I was truly amazed at the skill in which this movie was created. Granted, if you're working for Pixar, you would have to be talented, but the textures and reflections were amazing. I don't mean to geek out about it, but it made me want to run away and learn the ways of the force with the Pixar crew! That's all I'm going to say about that, but if I disappear one day and if anyone cares to look for me...try there first! :)

Well, it's time for me to be as productive as I plan to be today.

No comments: