Monday, June 19, 2006

LEONARD BERNSTEIN!!!

Yes, that's the only words I can understand in the REM song, and I yell them out with passion when I hear the song! : )

WEEKEND UPDATE

Without our normal cast of characters - everyone doing their own thing for once - , it was hard to know what to do on friday night. Steve had come home from work and mowed the back yard (much to the relief of the dogs, who were beginning to have to carry small machetes with them on a regular basis) and when he was done we decided to go see a movie. We picked the Jennifer Anniston movie "The Break Up". When we got to the theater, they had a bunch of those souped up Fast & Furious type cars in the parking lot since the new sequal to that movie was opening that night. I had no idea we had so many locals with garishly painted cars with neon underneath them. Steve and I had some time before the movie started to look around at them. I liked the paint jobs on a lot of them, but quite honestly, it seems like a huge waste of money to do this kind of stuff to a perfectly normal car. Oh well, it wasn't my money... : ) Anyways, there was one particular car there that had some part of it's stereo mounted in it's trunk in a way that made it look as if it were suspended in mid-air. I bent down to look at how it was attached, and the stupid car jumped up at me. It was on hydrolics apparently. I screamed and jumped about 25 feet in the air. Steve got a good laugh out of it. I'm not so country that I had never seen a car lift like that before, but I can sure as heck admit I wasn't expecting it to lift while my head was in the trunk! Anways, the movie was pretty good. It was like watching a movie about me and Steve, only the ending sucked. If you plan on watching it, stop reading this paragraph. *After making you want them to get back together, they never do. I haven't hated the ending of a movie so much since "Summersby." Anyways, that was our friday.

Saturday we had planned to get up and begin going through the house to get rid of some clutter. I woke up early and made muffins. Steve stayed asleep. I cleaned out the fridge, ate breakfast and started cleaning up the kitchen. Steve's company picnic was that day and I kept thinking it was going to be at noon, so I didn't bother to wake Steve up until 10:30. It turned out that the picnic started at 11:00! Oops. Well, we got ready and went out to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens where the picnic was being held. They were going to have a "scavenger hunt" where you answered qestions, with prizes, so you know I was going to participate. We had to follow the trail around the gardens to answer the questions. I had never gotten to see the flowers in the gardens, and they were beautiful. We didn't stick around for very long in any place because we were supposed to get our sheets turned in by a specific time, but I planned on walking the route again afterwards to take pictures. Steve and I actually won a prize! It was a gift card to Target, so three guesses as to whom will actually get to spend it! : ) After that was all done, Steve was too tired to go back through the gardens again, so no pictures for me :(. I plan on going back alone maybe next week to see it again. After we left the park, Steve went to get his head shaved (very cute!) and we went home and watched old Dr. Who episodes. It was stimulating both mentally and emotionally. /sarcasm. ;)

Sunday we went to church in the morning and I had a "Laugh In Church" moment that almost made me pass out. I was sitting in the sanctuary waiting for the service to start, when out of the corner of my eye I see what I think is a bird attacking this elderly gentleman who was sitting a few rows up. My actual thought was "Huh, there is a bird on that man's head. It's a very quiet bird." Strangely dispassionate about what was going on, I turned my head to watch this bird land on the man's head and I realized that it wasn't a bird at all. The man was wearing suspenders that had somehow snapped off of his pants and had sprung up over his head. What I took to be the wings of the bird were actually the straps of his suspenders flying over his head. All of this happened so fast. I don't know what made me laugh first, the sight of that mans suspenders jumping up over his head or me thinking a bird wasin the church dive bombing the parishoners! At any rate, it was after the song service before I got back in control of myself. After church, Steve and I went our seperate ways: he with his dad and me out to Athens to see my dad. I couldn't think of anything at all to get my father for Father's Day, so I had gotten him a gag gift of a bag full of toothbrushes, toothpaste and other dental care implements. He had just gotten his teeth veneered, so I went with that. At least he thought it was funny! After I left there, I went back to church and out to eat with Steve and some people from our church.

That was pretty much my weekend! Try not to have a stroke from the excitement of it all. : )

No comments: