Thursday, June 29, 2006

My husband is weird. People don't believe me when I say that, but it's completely true. You meet him and you see a tall, quiet man who rarely smiles or talks and you think - Hmmmmm...normal.

Not so much.

Last night we had made plans to see the movie "Superman Returns" with some friends of ours. Steve has always loved Superman movies, I already knew that. However, I wasn't quite prepared for what he did before we left for the theater. I was in the kitchen getting something out of my purse when he walked in and said "I'm ready!" As I turned around to say something to him I stopped with the words drying up on my lips. There was my husband...my quiet, staid, and solid husband...standing there in a blue t-shirt with the "S" emblem on the front, a pair of dark blue jeans, and a pair of red Fruit-of-the-Loom briefs pulled up over his pants. He them proceeded to pretend to fly around the kitchen. Why do I NEVER have my camera when he's being weird?! After I stopped laughing, I begged him to let me take a picture, but (and probably wise for him) he refused. Unfortunately, the red breifs came off before I could reach my camera and so now you'll just have to take my word for it.

Now I know how Big Bird felt when no one would believe him about Snuffulupagus.

Anways...about the movie!

Superman Returns was a really good movie. I enjoyed it a great deal! Perhaps it was a bit long, but I think it had to be so that younger viewers could be caught up on all the particulars before the real action began. I did have one problem with the movie, though, and it was that there was a lot of little things from the first movie that were recycled into this one. I mean, not so much that this movie couldn't stand alone, but it started to look less like an homage to the original and more like "Oops, I don't know what to put here. Let's me ironic and use a few lines that already exist so that the movie doesn't lag." However, all in all it was a great way to spend a couple of mindless hours. I do have a little advice for the characters, though (If only they'd listen to me...)

Lois...honey. Bless your heart. I know that you're a busy career journalist and all, but for the love of everything good and holy...CLARK HAS THE SAME FACE AS SUPERMAN! He's the same height as Superman! The only differences between them are the glasses! Glasses don't make that much of a difference. That will never cease to annoy me!

Superman: You were gone for 5 years. Five Years. You didn't even say goodbye. Did you think she was just going to wait by the window? I mean, jeez. I didn't realize the man of steel had the ego of steel to match. Let me give you a little advice about women, Clar...I mean Superman. The key to not having your girlfriend decide they hate you when you go away is "closure". You say goodbye, maybe a little kiss on the cheek...then she's left with lovely memories and very little cause for anger. Also, why would you want a woman who only likes you when you are not wearing glasses? Your alter ego seems sweet enough. All kinds of nice girls would be thrilled to date you, and hey, you wouldn't have to wear the tights on all of your dates.

Lex: Why take over the world? That is one thing about villians that has never made sense to me. World-wide domination is not only a difficult thing to accomplish, but silly. The people of the world can't agree on religion, government, or soccer teams, what makes you think you can just waltz in a become someone the whole world will agree to? You don't have enough henchmen to deal with the fallout of that decision, my friend. Why not just find a small country and rule that one? You can still be powerful, sweetheart, you're just going to have to do it on a smaller scale.

My final decision? One thumb up and one thumb raised, but not extended. : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Dark Shadow lives!

I haven't seen the movie yet. Why was he gone all the time? Was it just so they could explain why he didn't save those people in those towers in New York?

Anonymous said...

BTW, I saw my tall, serious-looking husband dancing around tonight and singing the "Magirangers" theme in a falsetto voice. He looked gayer than a bus of Liberaces!