Monday, June 05, 2006

WEEKEND UPDATE!

Hey, Everyone! I hope you all had wonderful weekends. I don't know how wonderful mine was, but it certainly wasn't dull!

FRIDAY: I left work early so that Josh and I could go to the grocery store to get the food we needed for the concert. We went a teeny bit overboard. Well, Josh blamed me for getting so much, but seriously, all I did was get what was on the list, plus a couple of things that Steve and I needed. Josh was the one that felt we needed all of the other fancy stuff that required cheese knives and everything. Blame aside, we had a LOT of food. The concert was at Burritt Museum and would be held outdoors. Unfortunately, it had been raining all day and everything was super soggy and damp once we got there. Undeterred, we spread out our blanket and had the picnic! It was actually nice and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. The Huntsville Jazz Ensamble (I think) was who played that night. They were very, very good! Jazz isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the music. As night fell, it got cold out there. I'm not talking a little chilly, I am talking COLD. Oh, and damp. Of course, I didn't have a jacket because I'm thinking "Hmmmm, June. Jacket? Nah." As the concert got longer, the colder it became. So Josh and I got the great idea to roll up in the comforter that we had used as a picnic blanket. It had been lying on the ground for a while by this point and had also grown cold and damp. However, we figured that as long as it blocked the wind, we'd be okay. Well, apparently this comforter was not big enough for two grown up people to wrap up in unless one was actually sitting in the lap of the other, but...ew, no thanks. So we each took an edge and rolled. We ended up looking like a package of Swiss Rolls lying there on the ground, each with just enough cover to wrap almost around each of us. Unfortunately, if we moved or talked, the cover would slip. I ended up trying to tickle Josh out of the blanket, but he held his ground. I can't even imagine (and certainly don't want to) what we must've looked like to the people around us, but as soon as I remembered my age, I just jumped out of the blanket and decided to be cold.

-I always seem to forget I'm almost 30. A kid at heart, you see.

Well, we ended up leaving early, but we all had a good time!

SATURDAY: I got up Saturday with the intention of mowing the lawn and doing laundry. Steve had volunteered to help some of his friends do some work, so I was on my own to get things accomplished around the house! I started the laundry, but the more I thought about mowing the lawn, the less I wanted to! Since there was no one there to make me, I decided to go get a haircut and run to Target. It was still fairly early, so I was hoping to get to the salon (and I use that word lightly) before a crowd formed. I realize how gauche it might seem to get your haircut at Mastercuts, but hey, they're cheap and competent. What else do you really need? Anyways, so I get there with only one person a head of me! Woo-Hoo! However, there was only one person working and the dad of the little girl said something about getting her a perm! Noooooo! I stood my ground, though. I had overheard the stylist say that the other girl had stepped out and was supposed to be right back. Soon enough, the other stylist walked in. I couldn't believe it, it was my friend Jason's crackhead ex-girlfriend! Actually, her name is Amy and she's actually good at what she does, but the stories I was told about her still make me think of her as the Crackhead Ex-Girlfriend. Anyways. When she walked in, I noticed that she had a sort of "off her meds" kind of look about her. She sort of slowly walked in, put her things down, and she called my name off of the list. I could only hope she didn't remember me from right after she and Jason broke up and I was there talking to him while he avoided her. Granted, there was nothing questionable going on, but I have expirence with this sort of thing so I was a little nervous. She apparently didn't recognize me, but she still had that dazed look about her and she was talking very monotone and quietly. When I told her what I wanted her to do to my hair, she looked down at me with her empty gaze and said in a dead voice, "If this pulls or hurts, just tell me." Right then and there I was already wondering what I was going to have to do to get my hair fixed after she was done. All I could think about was that horrible hair massacre I got right after Steve and I got married. I was all but bald after that, and I didn't get my hair even trimmed for a year and a half. I suppose I could have jumped up and run out of the place, but she had already pinned my hair up and grabbed her straight razor. I just prayed that I wouldn't be scalped. She started on the back of my hair and she stayed there for a long time. I've said before, that having your hair razor cut feels weird, but she seemed to really be cutting a lot of it off! After a while, she sort of came to life and talked more. It was like a lava lamp that had been warming up for a while before it did anything. She finally moved on from the back of my head, so I unclenched my hands from around the arm rest and watched her finish up my hair. It actually looked good when she was done, so I was glad! I had a few other errands to run before I went home, so I did those and came home to have lunch. I never actually got around to cutting the lawn, but I did get quite a few loads of laundry cleaned and folded! : )

Later that evening, Steve and I had been invited to the 40th birthday party of one of his co-workers. We got out to the house where it was being held and were met at the door by someone we didn't know who told us that the lady who the party was for had just had a seziure and was lying unconcious on the kitchen floor! She told us to come on in and go out into the back yard, which we reluctantly did, and they told us what had happened and that they had called an ambulance. Wow, that was awkward! No one knew what to do and we all felt so bad for her! We watched her get loaded up into the ambulance and be driven off (she was concious and everything by this time) and we were told that the party would go on in her honor after all. Except for the guest of honor having to get an MRI and everything, I thought it was a nice party. :) I met a few more new people from Steve's work who I liked a lot. I would just go ahead and say it was fun, but it makes me feel guilty to say that! Hopefully the lady is much better and not too embarrassed by today. The official story is that she was dancing on the table and tripped on the cake, falling and knocking herself unconcious. We won't tell anyone... : )

SUNDAY: Steve was leaving on his travel in the morning, and we had to get everything ready for him to go because we had done shamelessly little to prepare. I took him to get his rental car and when we got back we still had to do all of those little extra things you never rememeber to do until it's time to go. We finally got him packed and off a bit after 11:00. I went out to my parent's house for lunch, of course, and I decided to drive out there with my top down. Well, not MY top, but the top of the car. You know what I mean. I actually got sunburned on my way over there. Not badly, but enough to notice. I was even wearing a sleeveless top, so I'm sort of getting the farmer's tan I aquired while working on the blackbird evened out. Of course, that skin on my upper arms and shoulders hasn't seen the sunlight for a loooooooooog time, so I could probably get sunburned standing too near a lamp! Yes, I've actually given up the fight against hiding the infamous arm flap. It's just too hot to be that vain, and besides, who really looks anymore?! So I purchased two tops that have no sleeves and I wear them in public. Now, if I can just get over the not-ever-showing-my-legs thing and wear shorts or go swimming in an actual bathing suit, I might not pass for a partial albino anymore!

When I got home that afternoon, it had started to rain. I got the dogs in and sat back to enjoy the quiet that comes with a gentle summer storm and I promptly fell asleep. I don't know how long I actually slept, but by the time I woke up evening had fallen. I decided to practice a new kind of crochet stitch I hope to learn (I am SO LAME, folks) and I did that while I watched TV. At some point I decided that I would make another Gooey Butter Cake for my own consumption. I know, I know, but now that I know I can make something that A) has yet to catch on fire and B) tastes good, I'm going to go with it! I decided that I would really make it chocolate this time, so I used chocolate cake mix, covered the crust with chocolate chips, added 4 squares of melted baking chocolate to the mix and a tablespoon of Godiva liquor into the filling. When it was done and I tried it...words can barely describe it. It was so good, I wept! WEPT! Tears of disbelief and joy, people! I fully believe that if Jesus had ever made brownies, they would have tasted like this cake! Paula Dean is now right up there with Martha Stewart in my book. Well, maybe not RIGHT there with Martha...but pretty darn close. : )

At any rate, there was my weekend. Hope you had a great one!

No comments: