Tuesday, November 06, 2007

I hope you will indulge me for just a moment so that I may have a small rant.

I am most heartily sick of something that has been crammed up my nose on a constant and regular basis for the past couple of months. No, it isn't anything even particularly personal on my part, but it is something that I think should be whacked with a newspaper and told to get off the couch. What is it? Well, for want of a better way to express it, I am tired of hearing the word "Green" and everything that goes along with it.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I don't want to offend anyone who honestly wants to do better by the world by conserving, recycling, and hugging trees or whatever. If it's one of your personal ideologies, I say more power to you. What bothers me, though, are the people who have jumped on the band wagon so hard and fast and suddenly the gospel according to Al Gore is being sung from every rooftop and network across the country. Personally, I think the whole idea of "Going Green" is both stupid and a high-brow way to pretend that people (the Hollywood types mostly) who really don't care a bit about the environment are doing something to save the world. I'm tired of hearing about things being "green." I am tired of hearing the words "global warming" and I'm tired of hearing the words "carbon footprint." I think it takes a lot more to help something than to make public service announcements and turning off your lights. I think if you really want to change something, you need to actually go out and DO things to change it. I want to watch Heroes without that stupid little green peacock emblem in the corner. I want to listen to the radio without having to hear celebretards talking about how everything that is going on in our planet's climate is caused by not driving a Prius or whatever trendy hybrid is popular these days and not because the world *GASP* has climate fluctuations. I mean, we should probably not look in the past and see the ice ages and things like that, because none of that counts. It's because we have lights and cars and garbage. Let's ignore the fact that most companies in America have cleanliness standards that have to be passed before they can be cleared to function. Let's pretend that cars don't have to pass emission tests before they can be driven. Let's also forget that in the past thirty or so years that most industrial factories have been using electronics and even digital technology that once might have needed coal or other polluting fuel to operate.

I'm not saying that harmful things aren't going on these days. However, what I am saying is that I'm tired of people talking about it. If you live a "Green" lifestyle...huzzah for you and your people. However, if you are a celebrity and suddenly feel that this is the most important thing to ever happen and we should change everything RIGHTNOW, shut up about it already.

Oh, and I'm tired of hearing about the Bee Movie, too. Shut up. Jerry Seinfeld.

No comments: