Monday, May 16, 2005

Begun, this Star Wars-athon, has...

So, did any of you doubt that I would be getting bombarded with all things Star Wars to get ready for the 19th? We've started with Episode I last night and will be going down the list all week. To end the week, we will be playing a round of Star Wars DVD trivia.

Help me.

As for the rest of the weekend, it was very nice! Friday I didn't do a whole lot after work because Steve went to dinner with a guy he works with and I was on my own. I stayed at home and washed clothes and watched a CSI marathon. They were all episodes I'd never seen, so I was in hog heaven. Saturday we worked in the yard a little and then went out. I also learned all the words to the "So Long and Thanks For All the Fish" song from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. Hey, you never know when that will come in handy!

We stopped by the Home Depot/Toys R Us building and looked around. I realized that I'm still kind of fascinated by Barbies. However, I noticed something that kind of bothered me. There is a very disfunctional aspect to the whole Barbie world. Barbie, as we all know, can do anything. She is the astronaut, the model, the vet, and everything else. Her friends all just basically ride her coat tails everywhere she goes. How many times have we seen Barbie in a wedding dress? Has she ever gotten married? No! Apparently Ken has problems with commitment. He is too insecure to be with a successful woman. We also notice that while Barbie does all of these amazing things, her friend Midge ends up as the unwed mother. I've seen Midge with her "husband" in the same box, but Saturday she was all alone. ALONE! It was all a facade! So I'm guessing that Ken leaves Barbie and hooks up with Midge, only to leave her in her own little box with a baby on the way. Also, we see Kelly, Barbie's little "sister", but do we ever see Barbie's parents? No! We see Barbie carrying her around all of the time. I'm completely convinced that Kelly is actually Barbie's illegitamate daughter with GI Joe or something. It's all very complicated. Also, Barbie seems to have a problem with getting older. She still dresses and acts like a teenager, but she's like...46? Not to mention, she's gone from being mostly a career woman to doing stuff like American Idol and pretending she's a fairy. Maybe Mattel should create Psychiatrist Bob (tm) so he can put Barbie on some Prozac or something and she can get her life straightened out.

Oh yeah, Darth Vader, Darth Sidious, and some Storm Troopers were at Toys R Us too. Steve was too embarrassed for me to sing at the kareoke machine that was on display, but he wasn't too embarrassed for us to go over there with the Dark Side and look at Star Wars merchandise. Go figure.

We were supposed to go bowling with our sunday school class, but we completely forgot about it. We ended up going to Josh's place and watching movies and eating muffins. Good times, noodle salad.

That's pretty much the highlights!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't the admission requirement to hog heaven be that you are dead pig?

Tae said...

Touche! I've never through of it like that. : P