Friday, May 27, 2005

This story makes me so mad. I know that both parents should have rights to their children, but there comes a time when the law should look at the parent in question and realize that just because someone fathers a child, does not mean that they make an acceptable father. I'm not saying that what the mother did was right, but when a man is violent and has never cared for or tried to be a good father to a child, why should he get any rights to the child at all? In my opinion, this man is just trying to get back at the mother and using this little girl as a pawn. What a jerk. To take this little girl out of a family who loves her and wants to take care of her just to make a point ought to be beaten within an inch of his life, taken to a hospital to heal, and then beaten all over again.

I have to deal with arguing parents all the time in my job. I have lost so much faith in humanity just from the way some divorced couples treat their kids. Just yesterday a soldier in Afghanistan called me to make sure his child's camp got canceled because his ex-wife told him she wasn't going to let him send their kid here. I'm thinking, you know...this guy is in danger of being killed every minute he spends over there, but he has to call us to make sure that whatever plans he made for his child were scrapped because the ex didn't want him to have his way. What is wrong with people? I know not every divorced couple acts that way, but it's the bad ones that stick in my head.

Maybe I'm just spoiled because I was blessed to have grown up in a family where my parents loved one another and we were happy. Maybe I just feel everyone deserves that. I guess I am naive.

No comments: